Bad calcium problem; leaching out of stone?

Joyce

Mar 19, 2012
Ft. Worth, TX
I am having a huge problem with scaling all underneath the waterfall area. This never happened the first 7 years of the pool, but has gotten progressively worse over the last year. I can clean it all off only to have it return in a few days time. I take my water in to be checked and stay on top of anything that's needed. They say it's leaching out of the stone and sealed it for me last fall. Didn't help. The photo is from last year. Of course over the winter it has gotten quite thick. (It's pretty hard to clean this area from outside the pool.) Is there anything we can do? This is ugly and very time consuming. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-06 at 11.19.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-06 at 11.19.20 PM.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 71
It's called effervescence and it's moisture coming through the grout from behind carrying minerals with it. I'd start looking at the expansion joints on the deck nearby, maybe they're leaking and allowing the ground below to get saturated. Any changes to the landscaping/planters/sprinklers just before it started happening? Sealing the surface it's leaching out of is not going to be any more effective that taping over the outside of a leaking hose. Eventually the water will find a way through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.