Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bad calcium problem; leaching out of stone?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ft. Worth, TX

Bad calcium problem; leaching out of stone?

I am having a huge problem with scaling all underneath the waterfall area. This never happened the first 7 years of the pool, but has gotten progressively worse over the last year. I can clean it all off only to have it return in a few days time. I take my water in to be checked and stay on top of anything that's needed. They say it's leaching out of the stone and sealed it for me last fall. Didn't help. The photo is from last year. Of course over the winter it has gotten quite thick. (It's pretty hard to clean this area from outside the pool.) Is there anything we can do? This is ugly and very time consuming. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15x48 Intex Metal Frame Above Ground Pool
    Intex 2650 GPH Saltwater System & Sand Filter Pump Set

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Bad calcium problem; leaching out of stone?

It's called effervescence and it's moisture coming through the grout from behind carrying minerals with it. I'd start looking at the expansion joints on the deck nearby, maybe they're leaking and allowing the ground below to get saturated. Any changes to the landscaping/planters/sprinklers just before it started happening? Sealing the surface it's leaching out of is not going to be any more effective that taping over the outside of a leaking hose. Eventually the water will find a way through.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Bad calcium problem; leaching out of stone?

You mean "efflorescence".
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"