how to back wash when filter does not have rince position

Jan 2, 2011
Hi there, I have a sand filter who have only 5 positions (filter-winter-recycl.-back wash-waste)
I want to know if I'am correct when doing back wash... After I run back wash for 2-3 minutes, I switch to "waste" mode for 30 seconds, before returning to filter... Am I correct doing that ?
Should I use recycl. position instead ???

thanks

Re: how to back wash when filter does not have rince positio

I had one of those from about 1960 to 1975 (one of the first MPV's--solid bronze case and brass moving parts). Waste does not reach the sand, either. Only thing it will rinse is the MPV itself. I would just give it a few seconds on Waste or go straight to back to Filter (what we did for fifteen years).

I think the rinse position was invented only after they went to plastic MPV's. The cheaper material allowed a bigger, more complex valve with more positions. Ours was a 4-way: Closed, B'Wash, Filter and Waste. It was a big step up from just opening and closing gate valves.

Re: how to back wash when filter does not have rince positio

There is no point in using the waste or recycle function in the backwash process since the water will not be moving through the filter.

Just alternate between Backwash and Filter a few times ... well that is what I would do with a DE filter, the alternating may not be needed for a sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.