LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2012
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just endured our first winter. Filled up a couple weeks ago. Opened with clear water but lots of dirt on the bottom. Pool was finally full at dark so I can't say I noticed the prob when I fired up. The pressure gauge I did notice. The needle doesn't move. It sits below zero, with the gauge itself full of water, and doesn't even jump at start. SO I can't tell what PSI I'm working with.

But the next morn, after running the filter all night, my clear water was horrible! Greenish brownish dirty nastiness. I have been dousing above shock level since. And I left the pump running 24/7 for a few days. It looked much better. Then I shut off the pump for a few mins to clean out basket. That's when I first saw the stream of hideous gunk pour in. I shut it off, back washed to mostly clear (water isn't clear, so backwash won't be clear, right?). Fired it up, and more gunk into pool!

Let it run 24/7 for a couple more days. Still shock level. First good day to vacuum, I did so and then back washed. And back washed until I finally didn't have enough water!

I had to wait over the weekend for a water delivery. During the no filter time, water looked nice. Just the floaters that should have been caught by the skimmer. Water came yesterday. Refilled. Fired up pump today, same sludge! I back washed even more brand new water. Seemed pretty clear (remember, no gauge), and set back to filter. You guessed it. Dumped a ton of dirty water in. I left it running tonight. Water is murky again. The brown cloud it is blowing into my pool is killing me!

I suspect that as long as I leave it running, it will clear mostly up, but I need to be able to power off an on. My whole setup is not even a year old, so I feel like I should not be having these issues.

And all last season, the filter never needed back washed once, according to the pressure gauge that then worked. I did it a couple times and at the end of the season, but my filter is large and my water was clean all season.

Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone

Ummmmm, no :(. Wish this thing came with a manual. I dread shutting it off, but will backwash AND rinse this afternoon. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone

Pressure gauges almost never make it through the winter outdoors. Fortunately they are cheap and easily replaced. I buy them at farm stores rather than pool stores because they are better quality. Just be sure to get a 0-60PSI rather than a higher range.

ismile, look up youtube, there are several movies and instructional videos there to help you understand what each
positions of the backwash valve do. some explain it some not so good.
like waste ; rinse; backwash; bypass and then filter, there is also a closed one.

as for the pressure gauge. if it is laying on it's side I might recommend getting a 90 degree elbow and adjusting the new $7 or so
gauge so it it straight up. use a pipe tape to install it with two 1/2 wraps of it on the threads in the direction, as it would
screw in. reason to face it up. is where the pipe fits into the gauge will let water drain out so it might last more than a season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.