First open with BBB - Test Results, Next Step?

Jul 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
This is my first full summer with a pool. We moved into our house last August and I opened the pool and got pool stored into using Pristine Blue. Anyways, I just opened the pool and tested the water with my new TFTest Kit...

FC = 0
CC = 0
pH = 7.5
TA = 130
CH = 100
CYA = 0

I double, then triple checked the chlorine and CYA levels since they were zero. Just to make sure I did it right I watched the YouTube videos, which were extremely helpful, BTW.

My question is, what should I attack first? My thinking is to get the TA to an acceptable level, then the CYA, then begin to shock. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Eric - you need to get the copper level tested first - you may need to drain partially to lower the copper level if its too high. If it's workable, the first step would be to adjust the CYA. Don't worry about the TA/PH they are fine for now. How does the water look? Go ahead and add a small jug of chlorine if the water is clear. If the water is swampy you will begin the shock process, but this is only if your copper level is low enough to work with.

TA is the last thing you adjust, when you're bored with your sparkly pool. Just maintaining pH religiously will lower it to a manageable level.

I reviewed your post history, and since your pool had been treated with pristine blue, I agree that a copper test is a good idea. I did some searching here and it appears that .3 on a Copper test is the upper limit before green hair and staining on the walls. If it's low enough that draining isn't necessary, then add enough CYA to get you to about 30 - if it works out that a single bottle gets you to 28, that's close enough. Assume it's there and Start the shock process based on that CYA level. Reread Pool School if you're uncertain about how to add CYA or what the shock level is or how to perform the shock process.

Thanks for the input. A couple questions about copper... I had the pool store close my pool last season and for some reason they lowered the water level over 2 feet so I've spend the past couple days refilling. Our water pressure is the worst I've ever seen. Would you still recommend a copper test? Are the strips the best way to test for copper? Surprisingly my water was clear for the most part when I took the cover off. Is your recommendation to test for copper based solely on fact that I was using Pristine Blue? I ask because I want to know if it's something I should regularly test for, once a year, only on refills, etc... Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to become as knowledgeable as possible. :-D

Yes, Pristine Blue is a copper based product. Drop based Copper Tests are the most accurate - reputable pool stores should be able to test for it. If its at a workable level you don't need to test for it again PROVIDED you avoid copper containing products like algaecides, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.