PLEASE HELP! CYA off the chart, green pool, and need advice

Apr 21, 2013
We had a problem a few weeks ago with a green pool and we got that fixed. We just went on vacation for six nights and came back to a green pool again. I just came back from the pool store and here are the test results.

FC - 2.0
TC - 5.0
CC - 3.0
ph - 7.2
Hardness - 575
Alkalinity - 120
CYA - 250 or higher (test was run a month ago)
Copper - .6
iron - 0
Total dissolved solids - 1500

They recommended draining the pool and starting from scratch. Water is expensive in Texas but I will do what I have to do. I haven't started the BBB method but was planning to before the return of the green pool.

Any help / suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Re: PLEASE HELP! CYA off the chart, green pool, and need adv

If there test results are to be trusted, draining the majority of the water is the only way you will get CYA down to a manageable level, my suggestion is to read the pool school link in the upper right a couple of times, drain, stop following pool store advice, and join us here with the BBB method, it will be cheaper for you and your pool will have less problems.

CYA is included in tablets (pucks) and some forms of granular chlorine. It's not uncommon for pool stores to advise owners to "shock their pool weekly". Throw in 2 bags or so of Dichlor (CYA containing granules) and voila - it can rise really quickly - especially if tablets are the primary source of chlorine. Also if they tell you to add stabilizer at the beginning of the season - I've seen stores tell customers that a CYA of 100 is fine and/or not EVEN TEST IT and sell Stabilizer to their customers.

Smykowski said:
The pucks caused your CYA to skyrocket. Most people here use either plain bleach or an SWG for exactly that reason.

Figured. Definitely going to BBB with the fresh water. Do I even need to add stablizer to start??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You will need CYA in your pool. How much depends on several factors (can you put your pool/equipment specs in your signature?).

First off, pool store tests are suspect, but anecdotally, they're especially bad at the CYA test. You may be better off with a partial drain than a full drain, but we won't know until we have test results that we can trust.

Head over to pool school and read as much as you can, and we really, really suggest getting a good test kit.

Smykowski said:
You will need CYA in your pool. How much depends on several factors (can you put your pool/equipment specs in your signature?).

First off, pool store tests are suspect, but anecdotally, they're especially bad at the CYA test. You may be better off with a partial drain than a full drain, but we won't know until we have test results that we can trust.

Head over to pool school and read as much as you can, and we really, really suggest getting a good test kit.

Thanks. I have been reading and reading. I just bought a TF-100 today. As soon as I get it, I'll test and post the results. I am hoping not to have this happen again. I'll add my specs now.

Given the likelihood of extremely high CYA, I would suggest doing the CYA test with half pool water and half tap water and multiplying by two. It'll save on reagent and give you a better idea of where you're at (over 100 could be anything).

Read pool school while you're waiting for the kit to arrive. It will help with the discussion that is sure to follow. Don't be discouraged if it's too much to take in at once. Most people get more out of it on the third and fourth read throughs (me included).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.