Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pool heater and home warranty replacement problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool heater and home warranty replacement problem

Hi all,

I have a VERY old Anthony 325 (325,000 BTU) heater and I am hoping someone here can assist with an issue I am having. We recently had our house tented for termites which required the gas to be shut off. When the gas company came back to relight pilots, he red tagged my pool heater because the burner tray and bottom of the heater enclosure are completely rusted and corroded.

I have a home warranty which covers pool heaters. The pool company came out today and said the heater needs to be replaced, but since it is missing "rain shields," the warranty company is stating that they will not cover the replacement of the heater.

He said it was missing a top and side rain shield. This heater is LONG out of manufacture and I cannot get any info online, but from the one schematic I found, the top looks just like mine does, and I don't see anything that resembles a rain shield on the side.

Does anyone have any photos or info that may help my case? I will post pictures of it tonight when I get home.

Thank you in advance!!

-David
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool heater and home warranty replacement problem

Sounds like a line to get out of covering it ... I have no idea what a "rain shield" is ... ask them to define it and show you where in the warranty they are required.

After looking at info about these warranties, I do not think very highly of them ... either they nickle and dime you for $50-$100 every time they come out (multiple times for the same issue) or they deny the expensive claims for bogus reasons.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi jblizzle,

Yeah, sounds fishy to me...fortunately, I have had excellent luck with this warranty company up till now - they replaced my old filter and other various problems around the house.

They are sending a second opinion tomorrow and this guy sounds very nice. The warranty states that they don't cover issues caused by missing components or parts - but unless they can prove to me which parts are missing (and there is NO online info that I can find on this heater), I am going to fight it.

As I mentioned, the top cover is fully intact and there are no other missing covers that I can find.

Thanks!
    -David
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

Best of luck!!! Although a $300 filter is a little different animal than a $2000 heater.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I am hesitant to even call my home warranty company for reasons such as this!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I have had the misfortune of working with several of these companies. They will do anything and everything to NOT cover things. Pool equipment is the worst. A customer had their claim denied becasue rodents had mad a mess inside and the warranty company said the HO didn't prevent them from getting in.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, good news to report - I had them send out a second opinion company who said there are no parts missing and that the corrosion was simply from wear and tear. SO, the insurance company has agreed to replace the heater! Woo hoo!

Anyway, the old heater was an Anthony 325 BTU NG heater. The one they are ordering is a Pentair Max-E-Therm 333btu. Does anyone have any experience with these heaters? Are they reliable? I don't know how they compare to the other Pentair models or to the Raypacks.

Thank you!

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow, Congrats!!!
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

See if they will go for a Raypak. It is a more durable heater, and is as much, or a little less in price than a master-temp!
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

10. Back To Top    #10

Who is the home warranty with?

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Don't do the Pentair. Get them to go for a Raypak. Should be less or at least equal in price.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Heater
    Who is the home warranty with?
    American Home Shield...they have been very reliable! Replaced my filter when the old one blew out and now the heater. I am very happy with them!

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks all for the help. I am reading into the 3 models I am considering and am getting conflicting info and recommendations. Here are the 3 heaters I am considering:

Sta-rite Max-E-Therm 333 (SR333HD)

Pentair Mastertemp (not sure if I would need the 300, 400, 400 ASME or 400 HD)

Raypak P-R337A

Any insight into these?

Thanks!

14. Back To Top    #14

Well, Sta-rite is a Pentair product now and people were recommending the Raypak over the Pentair ....
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

the max-e-therm and the master temp are the same heater, just a different housing. If you have a choice, get the Raypak. A no-brainer IMO. Get at least 400K btu.

16. Back To Top    #16

Well, everyone here certainly seems to like the Raypaks - good to know.

At least 400k btu?? I am coming from a 325 and was looking at the Raypak P-R337A with 332,500 btu. My pool isn't all that large! Is there any negative at all going to that large a heater?

We are going to be in this house probably for less than 5 years...given the short term nature, is there any advantage to the Pentair/Sta-rites? Also, is there any advantage to the fiberglass shell of the Sta-rite?

I know I may be asking redundant questions, but this is my first heater purchase, so I am trying to understand all aspects. Thank you for help!

17. Back To Top    #17

ALSO, I saw the video regarding the noise level on the Max-e-Therm...I assume the Low NOx Raypak has a blower as well? If so, is it as loud as the Pentair/Sta-Rite? My heater is about 10 feet from the pool, so I dont want anything toooooo loud!

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Manufacturer suggests larger size is most efficient (may use more gas while running, but doesn't have to run as long). Home warranty may or may not approve higher btu than what you got now though.

I may be wrong, but I think every other heater out there is quieter than the Pentair/Sta-Rite heater(s). I call it the vacuum cleaner...

19. Back To Top    #19

If you are thinking about the larger heater remember to check the requirements for gas supply line size. Sometimes jumping up one size in heater also requires a larger gas line. That would be a deal breaker

skeeter
    47 yr old(1977) 18,000gal Kidney shaped 38ft long plaster Pool with built-in Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050 Pump, Pentair 48sf DE filter, Raypack RP2100 gas heater. HTH 5-way test kit

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

True that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast