Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of converting

1. Back To Top    #1

Thinking of converting

Hello all, I have. 24' by 52 above ground pool and I would love to switch to this method. I have a few questions:

1. Please Recommend me a good test kit that I can order from amazon
    2. What are the normal chemical levels for my pool
    3. Are their any exhaustible supplies in the good test kits ill have to replace or refill?
    4. How often would I need to test?
    5. Does the chlorine burn off quicker than other forms of chlorine? I heard bleach has less chlorine in it so does that mean ill have to use more to get the same effect?

Thanks
    30' by 54 Above Ground Pool 22000 Gallons
    1.5HP 2-Speed Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    24' 300lb Hayward Sand Filter
    TF100 Test Kit
    Youngest Pool Enthusiast(Hopefully)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thinking of converting

1. Why does the kit have to be from Amazon? The best kit is the TF100, which is not on Amazon. You can find the K2006 there, but it is not as good of a value since you do not get as much of the reagents you need: pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

2. Depends on your stabilizer level (CYA): pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

3. Yes, see #1. The reagents will not go bad for a few years (if stored properly), but you may run out.

4. Some things daily, others weekly, others monthly ... roughly, but all pools vary: pool-school/basic_pool_care_schedule

5. All chlorine is the same once in the water. Generally bleach is the cheapest in terms of $/ppm of FC added and does not have the side-effects of other forms: pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

I would suggest starting at the top and reading all of Pool School (button at the upper right of the page).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What he said, but I will add:

3, yes you will use it up, how fast depends on a number of factors, for example if your pool has very stable pH you may find you don't need to test very often, same goes for TA and CH, if your fill water is relatively low in CH, etc. One nice thing about TF test kits, is in the past they have offered spring special deals on refill supply kits, basically the most common stuff to run out of from the TF-100 kit, they also sell by line item in case you run out of one test sooner than the others.

4, this relates to 3, the link Jason gave you is a good ballpark reference, but as you get to know your pool you will find you may need to test for certain things less often than the guidelines say, or perhaps more often on others, every pool is different.

5, there are trade offs with each source of chlorine, liquid chlorine / bleach tends to be the cheapest per unit of chlorine, but more importantly it tends to have the least undesired side effects, the only real downside is it is relatively dilute so is heavy to carry around. A 9 pound 1 gallon jug of common 6% bleach contains about the same amount of active chlorine as a 1 pound bag of powdered dichlor. However that dichlor is acidic, and will also add lots of possibly unwanted CYA to your water which will lead to needing higher levels of chlorine, and eventually water replacement.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you, how do I know what cya level is appropriate for my pool? What about the other chemicals aswell?
    TF100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Metallica
    Thank you, how do I know what cya level is appropriate for my pool? What about the other chemicals aswell?
    pool-school/recommended_levels

They're also preprogrammed into http://www.poolcalculator.com/if you choose your surface material and so on.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you, I found that out after making that post. Should I go ahead and balance all of the chemicals even though we will not be swimming for a few weeks?
    TF100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you, I found that out after making that post. Should I go ahead and balance all of the chemicals even though we will not be swimming for a few weeks?
    Yep. Unless you want to deal with a green swamp when the water warms up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ill be ordering the test kit soon, I read that 1 gallon will bring the pool to shock level generally on A 10,000 gallon pool with normal cya. This true? On a normal pool with general chemical consumption does a gallon last a week or less?
    TF100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Not true ... well at least not specific enough.

A clean pool loses about 2-3ppm of FC per day. How much liquid chlorine you need depends on its strength and the size of the pool.
    For a 10k pool:
    1 gallon of 6% bleach raises FC by 6.2ppm ... not shock level
    1 gallon of 10% bleach raises FC by 10ppm ... could be shock level if your CYA < 20ppm which is too low
    1 gallon of 12.5% bleach raises FC by 12ppm ... could be shock level if your CYA = 30ppm which is the low end of recommended.

Use poolcalculator.com to do these calculations for you.

Your pool is about 13500 gallons,
    So assuming 2.5ppm needed per day * 7 days = 17.5ppm / week = ~2.3 gallons of 10% / week ... assuming you pool has nothing growing in it and little use
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Hey JB. So basically, i will need to use about a gallon and a half to shock it at minimum cya once a week. Also putting in daily enough bleach to keep the FC above the recommended level.
    TF100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

You only shock when you need to. You do not shock weekly. I didn't shock at all last season nor the season before that.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

I gotcha. I'm used to shocking once a week with the powder version..
    TF100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi Metallica! Seems like you've been reading and have grasped the general concept. Once you are able to test with your new test kit you can dial in all the numbers. I'm curious, how long have you had your pool? (okay i saw your other thread you've had it for a year).

How has your water been over that time period?
    How long did you not use your pool for after your weekly shock?
    Do you have a pressure gauge on your filter, you never really answered that in the other thread.

Basically what led you here?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

14. Back To Top    #14

Metallica:

If you need further evidence that BBB works, check out my before & after results here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/bbb-s...ar-t54033.html
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

15. Back To Top    #15

Hey Harley, thank you guys for the reply. The water during last years swimming season was almost always clear, or close to it, save for a few times it got cloudy. Which I corrected with powdered shock. I tested my water using the pool store's professional computer strip tester.

It ran okay, I just read about how it constantly adds cya to the water and overtime it can cause problems. Therefore I figured I should go ahead and switch over to using bleach as chlorine. We do backwash whenever the pressure rises by 10 and we backwash a substantial amount of water, for approx. 3 min. It drains like an inch or more each time so that may help the cya. Our normal pressure is about 20.
    TF100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

the pool store's professional computer strip tester.
    how does using a computer to read the color off or an inaccurate test strip make it "professional"
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

I'll take my amateur status up against their professional status any day of the week!
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

18. Back To Top    #18

Lmao I didn't literally mean professional I just meant I didn't test it with a strip kit you buy from Walmart. I trust you guys' knowledge over pool store employees' anyway of the week. Do you guys have any major tips? I am very interested in converting.

Yesterday, before I left I put in a gallon of 8.25 bleach into the pool as it was cloudy. It didn't quite clear it completely, any idea why? I know I didn't use enough bleach for full shock level, and I'm running filter 24/7.
    TF100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Yesterday, before I left I put in a gallon of 8.25 bleach into the pool as it was cloudy. It didn't quite clear it completely, any idea why? I know I didn't use enough bleach for full shock level, and I'm running filter 24/7.
    Ummm, you just answered your question.

Shock is a process, not a one-time thing, nor a magic powder they sell at the pool store, no matter what they call it.

[center:1ufjnsr0]In a tough case, you might end up using this much:

Or this much

first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html[/center:1ufjnsr0]

20. Back To Top    #20

Love those pics! Yes I have advice read pool school again specifically shocking your pool. The problem today, me included, is I don't really learn anything, I constantly reference it, like pool school. If I were given a test I'd fail unless I had access to pool school. I reference it everytime I need to adjust something. Oh the pitfalls of instant information.....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast