Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BJ's Winter Heat Pure Ice Melt to Raise CH?

1. Back To Top    #1

BJ's Winter Heat Pure Ice Melt to Raise CH?

I bought a 50 pound pail of Berkley & Jensen (BJ's) Winter Heat Pure Ice Melt hoping that I can use it to raise CH. The label states that it contains pure calcium chloride pellets. The CAS number is 010043-52-4. I looked at the BJ's website but could not find an MSDS sheet for the product. I think it is manufactured for BJ's by Scotwood Industries because I found what appears to be a product with the same name on their website. Their MSDS sheet shows it to contain 90-97% Calcium Chloride, 1-2% sodium chloride, 0-1% strontium chloride and water.

Is this safe to use in my pool to raise the CH?
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BJ's Winter Heat Pure Ice Melt to Raise CH?

Anybody have an opinion on this?
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

3. Back To Top    #3

I received a copy of the MSDS sheet from BJ's and it lists the following chemical analysis:

Calcium Chloride (CaCL2) - 94% Min, 94% typ.
    Alkali Chloride (as NaCL) - 5% Max, 4% typ.
    Magnesium (as MgCL2) - 0.02% Max, 0.01% typ.
    Other impurities (except moisture) - 0.20% Max, 0.10% typ.

So, based upon this information, is this safe to use to raise the CH level in my pool?

4. Back To Top    #4

Leslie's Hardness Plus MSDS reads

Calcium Chloride 10043-52-4 > 94.0 - < 97.0%
    Potassium Chloride 7447-40-7 2.5%
    Water 7732-18-5 > 0.0 - < 2.0%
    Sodium Chloride 7647-14-5 1.5%

I wouldn't hesitate to use it. But why would you want to? Your vinyl-lined pool doesn't care about low Calcium. Warranty or something?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Richard,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a warranty thing. I am going to raise the CH up to the minimum for my equipment until the warranty period is over. The only way that I'll do it is if I can use the 50# bucket of ice melt that I bought at BJ's. There's no way that I'm going to pay pool store prices for hardness increaser.

I just want to make sure that the other ingredients (besides calcium chloride) listed are safe. I'm looking for the chemical experts here on TFP to bless this prior to dumping it in my pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

The BJ's Winter Heat Pure Ice Melt should be fine to use. I assume that the 0.2% of other impurities do not include lots of metal such as iron. Even if you were to add 200 ppm Calcium Hardness (CH) with this product and that the 0.2% were only pure iron, that would be 0.44 mg/L of iron. I doubt very much that all the impurities are iron and maybe none of them are so I think the product is fine to use.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

chem geek,

Thanks for the 2nd opinion.