Brookeville, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
Hi, first post, new forum, but you guys seem knowledgeable, and so I need a bit of help.

A little background, the pool is a 22,000 gallon, 1.5HP 2 speed pump, Hayward C4000 cartridge filter (425^2 ft.), and a Pentair Heater. The pool works great, easy maintenance. Its 16 years old. I've gradually become adept at doing all the work myself, and I've replaced all of the system (pump, heater, polaris, motors) as I've learned the ins-and-outs of maintenance, so none of this is quite new.

I realized that Hayward no longer made some of the critical parts for the existing filter, and to avoid downtime I decided to replace/upgrade the filter. After doing some measuring, I realized that a Hayward C series seems to use identical fittings, and just as important, the inlet/outlet are exactly the same height as the existing filter. So I chose a C5030, which is a bit bigger (525^2 ft), and it arrived today.

I realized that in looking at the connectors, I have no idea how they work, and there are basically no instructions to speak of. The instructions are here: http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals ... -C7000.pdf

So my question is...these fittings look like they screw into place, but (a) how do they install on the filter body and (b) do they glue onto the PVC?.

Ideally, I'd like to unscrew the existing two connections and screw them onto the new filter, but now I'm not sure that plan is feasible.

Any comments or instructions you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Tom

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Wow that is a big filter, we would have recommended at least 330 sqft for your pool, so you will certainly not be needing to clean the cartridge very often.

Looking at page 10 of the link you provided. I think part 21 gets screwed into the filter with the o-ring. Then part 22 would screw onto part 21 and the PVC would be connected to part 22 with solvent.

So, you may be able to unscrew 22 from your existing filter and then put the new filter with part 21 installed in place and screw the old 22 onto the new 21.

If that makes sense :scratch:

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Wow that is a big filter, we would have recommended at least 330 sqft for your pool, so you will certainly not be needing to clean the cartridge very often.

Looking at page 10 of the link you provided. I think part 21 gets screwed into the filter with the o-ring. Then part 22 would screw onto part 21 and the PVC would be connected to part 22 with solvent.

So, you may be able to unscrew 22 from your existing filter and then put the new filter with part 21 installed in place and screw the old 22 onto the new 21.

If that makes sense :scratch:

First, yes it is a big filter. I like the cartridge filter because they're very low maintenance, but when I have to do maintenance, its a pain (especially the C4000 which has a belly-band designed by a sadist). I realized I could almost, but not quite make it through a swimming season without cleaning the filters, but I reasoned this gives me an additional 25% more filter area so in theory I can make it from May to October without cleaning the filter. We'll see if my theory holds up.

As to the rest of your post, yes it makes sense. I'm hoping that I can reuse the existing "part 22" because it will save me 30 minutes of work since its already glued on the PVC. But if I can't, I'll have to cut the pipe off and put in an extension to make the length correct. Thanks for looking, it does seem straightforward when you explain it calmly to me.

Let me say again as I'm looking at the box in my garage, it is a BIG filter :-D

Welcome to tfp, tkrotchko :wave:

I too think you made a good choice in getting that monster. I am not a big fan of carts (for my situation at least), but if you have one, going big is the only way imo. :goodjob:

Re: Replacing Hayward C4000 Cartridge Filter - The Coda

So in-between rain showers I got the filter installed.

A couple things:

1) While the new filter's inlet & outlet are in the same spots as the old filter, and uses a very similar connector system, they are different sizes and the old uses an o-ring, which the new one uses slotted washer.

2) Also, the old plumbing is/was a bit of a hodge-podge of 1 1/2 & 2" plumbing. I eliminated a bit of the 1 1/2", but as the entire underground PVC is 1 1/2", probably didn't do any good.

But other than the fact that my son and I had to lift this heavy filter into place over a fence, it went pretty much by the book.

My tip for PVC for the day: use a power miter saw to cut PVC. Its waaaay faster than a hacksaw, the edges are square and perfect, and its ready to glue.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Re: Replacing Hayward C4000 Cartridge Filter - The Coda

tkrotchko said:
My tip for PVC for the day: use a power miter saw to cut PVC. Its waaaay faster than a hacksaw, the edges are square and perfect, and its ready to glue.

:goodjob: that is what I do. I usually hit the corners with a file as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.