Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newly opened green pool -need to backwash filter every hour?

1. Back To Top    #1

Newly opened green pool -need to backwash filter every hour?

I just had my pool opening today (in-ground, DE filter). My water is dark-green, as it usually is when opening. Is it normal for me to have to backwash my filter & change my DE every hour while he water is this dark? It seems every 45mins-1 hour, the PSI gets high (or gets extremely low as the pump isn't drawing much water). Back washing fixes it, but then I have to do it all again every hour. I just want to make sure this is ok & that I'm not hurting anything. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Newly opened green pool -need to backwash filter every h

Welcome to the forum. Yes, it is common. Your water is filled with a lot of junk and your filter is catching it. As you continue shocking, the time between backwashes will increase as the water gets cleaner.

You are shocking, correct?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I am! Glad to know that it's normal & not just me losing my mind.

Thanks for your help!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, suz414

By the way, we recommend backwashing when you filter pressure goes up 25% from the clean filter pressure. You don't really want the filter to get so dirty the flow is greatly reduced. What is your clean pressure reading?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just to be sure, you have read these correct and this is the shock process you are going through?
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    Shocking Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

It might be a little easier to put the filter in recirculate mode until all the algae is dead and on the floor of the pool. Then you can vacuum to waste. Hopefully this will save a lot of DE.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater