Outdoor Island - coming along well.

Jul 26, 2011
So, looking at adding an outdoor island near a new pool. I already have a covered patio with Napolean Grill and an electric stainless smoker (best investment ever!).

Looking at adding an area with another grill, stainless ice cooler (type you add ice and put beers/drinks in for the afternoon), garbage can (stainless drawer with pull out garbage can), maybe a couple cabinets to store misc. stuff.

I don't want to put an ice maker (have two inside the house) or refrigerator (have too many to count).

Am I missing anything else? I see towel racks (seems a little excessive), etc.

I would have a large section just open for food to be stored on (granite top) with lots of space for rolls, ketchup, pickles, etc.

Re: Outdoor Island - what am I missing?

panamagixxer said:
I don't want to put an ice maker (have two inside the house)
Sounds like a nice setup. :goodjob:

This falls into the category of a "nice-to-have": If you want 90+% of the convenience of an ice maker and have access to electricity, you could consider getting a small inexpensive chest freezer and use that to store the ice to be used outside. When you need to pour a beverage "on the rocks" or "re-ice" the stainless ice cooler, you could use the ice from the chest freezer instead of having to traipse through the house to get to the ice makers.

I have a similar setup with a Napoleon and a smoker (Big Green Egg here). I have an outdoor refrigerator, refreshment center, side burner, trash can, and kegerator along with the storage. Not sure what you layout is or what you plan to do, but I have a raised bar area and a counter height seating area so you can 'belly up' while the grub is cooking. In order of importance and use I would rank my accessories as follows: kegerator, smoker, grill, side burner, sink (comes with my refreshment center), storage, refrigerator, trash can. Like you say just make sure you have plenty of counter space. If you get a layout in mind put up a pic and we can probably offer more specifics.

Riles

So, I ordered the following:

Luxor 24" Built in Ice Bin
Pacific Living PL8304SS Natural Gas Stainless Steel Outdoor Built-In Pizza Oven
Blaze 32 Inch 4-Burner Built-In Natural Gas Grill With Rear Infrared Burner

BBQGuys.com Kingston Series Roll-Out Trash / Recycling Bin
BBQGuys.com Kingston Series 20 Inch Triple Access Drawer
BBQGuys.com Kingston Series 17 Inch Right-Hinged Single Access Door - Vertical
BBQGuys.com Kingston Series 17 Inch Right-Hinged Single Access Door - Vertical
BBQGuys.com Kingston Series 17 Inch Left-Hinged Single Access Door - Vertical

I'll post a drawing soon and pictures once we start the build - pretty excited.

Even cooked 4 pizzas on the pizza oven, they took 8 - 10 minutes each.

Its not smoke in the picture, was cutting with grinder.

This is the counter top we picked out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Waiting on Luxor 24" ice bin to arrive, which has slowed down progress. BUT, we couldn't wait to try out the pizza over, used it twice, 6 pizzas, takes about 8 minutes. The oven temp gets to 500, but I think the pizza stone is much hotter because it is right above the burner.

Is that wood under the granite or HB? Did you put that there or did the granite installers? I'm at that stage and I'm not sure if I should place HB or wait for the installers to use their materials to level and make a solid base for the granite.

Penny said:
Is that wood under the granite or HB? Did you put that there or did the granite installers? I'm at that stage and I'm not sure if I should place HB or wait for the installers to use their materials to level and make a solid base for the granite.

It is wood, the granite installer put it on. I waited for the installer because it was not level. They did a great job getting it level and should be back to day to finish the job. Once I get the appliances back in, I'll take some more pics.

I will be doing the tile, going with a dark wood tile. Just liked the look.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.