Automatic Cover for existing pool.

newbiepool

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Richmond VA
We put in an in ground Grecian about 2.5 years ago. Love it, just tired of the daily debris clean up! Seriously thinking about an automatic cover. Does anyone have any suggestions for :

-Any Self Install/ DIY companies?
-Reputable Brand if not a self install
-Can it be put on the shallow end of the pool at the end of the pool deck, I have about 11 feet to the end of the deck on the shallow end. Issue is my deck at the deep end has a water fall that we would like to keep, plus the concrete deck is chopped off at the corners like the Grecian.

Thank You!
-Peter

Can't really help you but i can offer some insight into owning an auto cover.

True, i have no daily cleanup, i don't use my net, i just toss in the Polaris to pick up anything that manages to get in while we are swimming.

But what i have discovered i have to do is clean out the pit the autocover rolls up in. At first i thought this would be like a yearly thing, but i'm discovering this needs to be done more often, otherwise the debris cover the pit drain and water starts to build up. This may not be a concern for you, as a retrofit may not include a pit, maybe a box above/on pool deck (i don't know).

Second, to keep the cover looking good and protected from UV's, you have to clean it. I'm talking spraying it down with citrus cleaner and scrubbing with a brush. Mine i walk on and scrub, then rinse and pump soapy water into pit that drains out into front yard. Then i have to treat it with Aerospace Protectant 300 (i think), which protects against UV's. Finally i have to lube pulley's and what not with food grade spray silicone.

This maintenance was offered to me by the installer at a rate of over $400 once per year. I choose to do it myself, but scrubbing that cover was a lot of work. Shop-vacing the pit not so much, but still took an hour or so all in.

Just trying to say, while day to day maintenance will be less it's not without maintenance.

All that said, it allows me to keep my water perfect throughout winter.

Thanks Harleysilo. I wonder if that the cleaning is primarily because yours was put in during the pool build versus an after market one. Hopefully there will be some folks that have put one in after the pool build that as some insight.

An auto cover can be added as long as you have enough deck to install it on. Is it dit yes would I recommend diy no. A manufacturer may or may not want to sell to diy as there are some serious liability issues with it. Done incorrectly it is nothing more than a waterbag cover. Get a couple estimates on getting it added on. I am guessing that an installer is not making enough to cover the costs.

swimcmp said:
An auto cover can be added as long as you have enough deck to install it on. Is it dit yes would I recommend diy no. A manufacturer may or may not want to sell to diy as there are some serious liability issues with it. Done incorrectly it is nothing more than a waterbag cover. Get a couple estimates on getting it added on. I am guessing that an installer is not making enough to cover the costs.

any brands you know to recommend?.. I have heard bad things about coverstar.

I have the AutoGuard automatic pool cover. This is the start of my 7th season with it. It is starting to show wear along the outside edges where the sun really beats down on it, but I intend to keep using it as long as I can. I absolutely love it! I had it installed at the same time as my pool. I bought it mainly to guard against any accidents since my grandchildren were just toddlers at the time of installation. It is a big asset when it comes to keeping the pool clean, though you do have to open the cover periodically to let the pool water "breath". Since my automatic cover helps hold in the heat when I heat my pool water, it enables me to extend my swimming season.....first of April, to the end of October. The cover is also a big help maintaining my pool chemical levels while I am away. I clean my autocover twice a year - when I open the pool, and again when I close it. I don't get out on the cover, but I sprinkle dish soap over the surface, let the hose water run on the top and use my pool brush to brush the surface of the cover, doing the same thing to rinse it. Once it's good and dry, I use the 303 Aerospace Protectant on it. I just use an old pool brush head, wrap it in old towels, spray the surface of the cover with the protectant and spread it around with the towel wrapped pool brush......an easy job to do. As far as cleaning out the "well" where the cover rolls up, I jut open it once a year and use my shop-vac to vacuum it out. I don't think you will regret having one installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.