Attempting to open new house salt water pool

Mar 5, 2013
connecticut
I have a 34k gallon vinyl inground salt water pool that hasn't been open in 3 years. I'm attempting to open it on my own with a little guidance from a local pool guy (and hopefully here)
I took the cover off and hooked up the pump. Cleaned filter as added the de as directed. The pool has a lot of sediment on the bottom and is a black murky color with a few frogs in it. My pool guy said to shock it with 5 gallons of liquid shock and throw a few chlorine tabs in the skimmer baskets and run for 24 hrs with occasional backwashing.
He said we will remove the sediment/leaves later?
Wouldn't that just blacken it back up? Is there a way to get the leaves out that won't waste my money on the initial shock? Does this seem right?

Good points harleysilo!

Also, you should run the pump 24/7 and clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Definitely try to scoop out everything that you can first ... maybe even vacuum to waste if you can.

Awesome thanks for the fast response! I picked up 5 gallons of liquid Chlor for 24$ on sale from pool store. Ill try getting some of the heavier sediment out before I add it. I have a leaf net and a leaf vacuum that hooks on the hose which will too off my water level while I get some junk out. In the meantime ill get a water test. I know there is almost a zero salt level at this time.
Should my ph level be set before I shock?

Forget about the gimmicks they try to sell you. All you need is chlorine.

Ignore the salt, leave the SWG off until the water is clear. You will be vacuuming and backwashing a lot of water, so why dump salt too?

Yes you should set the pH in the low 7s before you start the shock process because the pH test is not accurate when the FC > 10ppm.

Order one of the recommended test kits now so you have it ... you will not likely find the required FAS-DPD chlorine test locally. In fact, just go to tftestkits.net and order the TF100 with the XL option, because you are going to need a lot of reagent. The SpeedStir will also help a lot, but is optional. Dave will have that kit to you in a couple days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.