Help me pick a automatic pool cleaner...

blownby

Apr 30, 2013
NW Ohio
Totally lost for what to get...

Details in sig. I am looking to NOT go broke, especially since I don't mind the usual weekly manual vacuum so far, so just looking for an automatic idea. No idea if electric or suction or what is the way to go?

maybe a few hundred $$ if doable....
if not I will wait till funds permit.

Generally, you pay for cleaning power with auto-vacs. Bigger, better and faster means more money. That's a pretty good size pool and I think you would be disappointed going with ANYTHING less than $700 or so....$1000 would be better.

If you really don't mind manual, consider a larger (20" or even 29") vac head for under $100. If you have small one now, it'll cut your time in half and it won't break....autovacs will.

any of the cheaper $500 robotic cleaners good? I don't expect 100% clean pool, but nice if they can get most of the junk normally. Also are these things pretty energy efficient?
I know in the past when I had a suctions style cleaner and solar cover was on it seemed to effect the movement. Granted was a $150 cleaner, but wondering...

I plan on getting one of these in a couple weeks. Not a lot of reviews on it, but looks like it should work well and is easy to maintain.

Those are one of the cheap ones I was looking at too....aqua Products Breeze XL with scrubbers! Does floor and walls
says 145w use which is less than .05c for a 2 hr run time.....

If you get one report back!

We've had the Nitro robotic pool cleaner for about 4 years now. Simple to toss in and let it do its thing. No issues running under the cover. It takes some time to clean our pool (about the same size) and does miss some, but for the majority of the time it works great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wall climber....

It looks like there's a chance companies have changed and quality went down....reviews as of late seem poor.

I had suction side cleaners for many years before switching to a Dolphin Diagnostic robot a couple of years ago, personally I am glad I made the switch. Having said that, suction side cleaners are very pool specific, I owned expensive ones that would get caught on the steps, or in the corner by the ladder, and I had an ultra-cheap $69 that never got caught anywhere, but did start falling apart quickly and had to be thrown out after less than 2 seasons as duct tape, etc would no longer patch it back together. One other potential issue with suction side cleaners, mostly the cheaper ones use a valve that makes a clack, clack clack sound several times per second, while the more expensive ones use a much more silent valve design. The clacking can be annoying if you plan to lounge around your pool while the cleaner runs, or perhaps if your pool is outside a bedroom window, etc.

Hi all.

I have a 30' round above ground pool, 4'-5' deep. I usually keep a small stair in the pool.

I was looking to get a automatic cleaner. Don't need anything fancy, ie simple pool shape and no stairs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

@frustratedpoolmom, your pool looks pretty similar to mine and you mentioned getting a suction powered cleaner. May I ask which one/cost/thoughts to date?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I owned 4 or 5 suction side cleaners of the kreepy krauly style over the years before switching to a robot, and in overall cleaning ability I saw little difference between the $69 made in china special, and the $300+ major brand models, including an original expensive Kreepy Krauly, the big difference seems to be the quality of the parts (much better plastic and hoses on the more expensive models) and ability to get replacement parts. Also the more expensive ones tend to have the quieter valves mentioned above.

I have had a kreepy Krauly, barracuda (same style by zodiac) and recently about 2 years ago I found a killer deal on craigslist for a mx8 brand new in box for $250 (talked down to $150) and I love it. no diaphram to worry about only thing it gets stuck of it jams a palm leaf or big leaf in the gears. The only thing I have/need to replace is the quick connect adapter to the cleaner since one clip broke ($15). I would recommend it but that is just me

I concur on the MX8. I've had a few suction side cleaners and the MX8 was by far the best. I'm using a robotic now. I think overall they do a better job and the dirt doesn't get deposited in your filter, so if your looking at that I think your looking in the right direction, but if you decide to go for a suction side the MX8 or the Poolvergen would be the choice.

Zodiak mx8 and steps

Ok, so I looked at the zodiak mx8....seems they have a $100 rebate on them right now too...

So that puts it around $299.....

Will these go op or onto the typical white 8' wide steps

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.