Renting out my house - leave pool up or take it down? (P

Jul 22, 2011
I'm going to be putting our house up for rent here soon. I have a 'permanent' (not Intex style) 15' x 4' pool up. I hear mixed reviews on leaving it up. Some say it's a liability, some say no. Some say let the renter decide. I don't care either way.

What's the general consensus on pools with rental homes?

The most depressing part is that I put it up in July a couple years ago during a horrible heat wave. It rained EVERY weekend that summer after I put up the pool. Summer 2012: I traveled on the road every other week for work, never opened up the pool, just too busy. Now here we are over $1K into this pool that I've used one time. What kind of market is there for used pools?

Side-spam: It's in Maryland if anyone is interested in buying it. :wave:

P1140646.JPG

What does your insurance company have to say about it? Personally I'd want to fully know the liabilities, if something pool related happens to your tenant how does it affect you? I'd get it right from the horses mouth, so to speak.

I suspect this is a state level issue, if so you'll need to know the liabilities within your state.

Yup, in todays world no doubt some one has an accident and then says it's your fault because you put the pool there, if you didn't put it there they wouldn't of had the accident, and having the pool there was simply too temping for an average person to resist. No doubt a lawyer would try that angle, the fact that the person could be drunk and acting like an idiot would be irrelevant.
What a world eh!

Recently I read a lawsuit where a mom successfully sued a pool store, she bought a slide somewhere, stopped by the store to see if it was acceptable for her pool, they said yes, gave her a standard warning about diving and all that, her daugther uses the slide head first, breaks her neck, Mom blames the pool store for not warning her about not sliding head first....and she wins a few hundred grand. What a world, judge said the pool store should have provided more warning, that they were "partially" to blame.

Contrast that with my country/province where my wife get's rear ended by a moron without a licence who is talking on her cell phone, she has bad dreams about our then 4 year old daughter being in the car when it happened and back head aches for one year, recourse: $3500 worth of massage, physiotherapy and doctors bills covered. Meanwhile our van (which was owned out right and in great shape) is a right off and we get to take out a loan for a new one.

Talk about 2 different systems and 2 extremes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.