Do you guys open your "floor drains" to the filter?(w/ Pics)

Aug 12, 2012
Tecumseh, MI
Opening my 15x30 AGP for the first time. It has a typical water-line skimmer, but also has 2 floor drains(??? Discs in the bottom that return water to the Filter-IN line, WHEN OPENED).

Bought the house last summer, and I know that the previous owners had the floor drains CLOSED, and NOT running water to the filter during normal operation - not sure if that is b/c I'm not supposed to have them opened, or if they just left them closed to preserve their winterization.

Seems like I was told somewhere on TFP that I should OPEN them, that it will help with pool circulation. Is that correct? Should I open them? If so, should I open them up all the way? Won't that cut down on water going through the skimmer, and thus reduce skimmer efficiency? (although there is the basked at the front of the filter, so I guess it is likely irrelevant which path the water takes to get to the filter?)

Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88562675@N08/8078748933/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88562675@N08/8078739506/in/photostream/

Re: Do you guys open your "floor drains" to the filter?(w/ P

Every installation is different, but I'd expect you'll want a little flow through the drains. High flow through the skimmer produces maximum surface cleaning, while you'd want the drains open if the water has algae or cloudiness. It won't hurt to experiment, just watch your pressure gauge and look at the pump strainer housing for bubbles as you try different settings on the valves.

JohnT said:
Every installation is different, but I'd expect you'll want a little flow through the drains. High flow through the skimmer produces maximum surface cleaning, while you'd want the drains open if the water has algae or cloudiness. It won't hurt to experiment, just watch your pressure gauge and look at the pump strainer housing for bubbles as you try different settings on the valves.

Let me ask you this follow-up:

On thing we noticed last year when we took possession, is the previous owners did NOT have their steps in the pool for some reason. Basic 3-steps, vertical slots in the sides to allow some water flow.

I DID put the steps in, and bought a floor mat to go under then to make sure they weren't rubbing the liner. And some time after that, we DID get algae. What I don't know is, did the steps obstruct the circulation (opposite end of skimmer, return, and drains) to cause the algae, were the steps or mat already contaminated and caused the algae outbreak, or did I get my FC down too low (yes) for too long as I learned how to use my automatic chlorinator and adjust to my level of CYA.

I really do want those steps in the pool, would opening those floor drains more/less/zero/max have any effect on circulation down there around the steps to help prevent an algae outbreak? I want to use those floor drains (open, closed, partial, don't care) to maximize circulation at the step area. Any idea what amount of floor drain would be best?

Thanks

Steps create areas with bad circulation, which makes preventing algae more difficult, though not impossible. The water inside the steps tends to have lower FC levels, and algae can gets started there more easily, and then spread to the rest of the pool. Depending on the design of the steps and their position relative your your water circulation, you may need to raise the FC level a bit above our usual recommendations to reliably prevent algae.

Using the floor drains along with the skimmer is generally a good idea, but isn't going to have much of any impact on the steps issue either way.

JasonLion said:
Steps create areas with bad circulation, which makes preventing algae more difficult, though not impossible. The water inside the steps tends to have lower FC levels, and algae can gets started there more easily, and then spread to the rest of the pool. Depending on the design of the steps and their position relative your your water circulation, you may need to raise the FC level a bit above our usual recommendations to reliably prevent algae.

In a 15x30 AGP oval, is there a particular place that would be better or worse to place the steps?

Right now, the steps are usually placed at the complete opposite end of the skimmer/return/drains. The skimmer is directly middle of one end, and the return is slightly further around the curve, about 3/4 around the curve, just before the straight-a-way down the side. I don't see any structural reason why they could not be moved, so I imagine I could put them anywhere.

If I put the steps in the middle of the side/straight-a-way, they would be only like 10-feet from the return, which would be good for the steps & THEIR circulation. But I wonder if that would cut off circulation to the far end of the pool, and basically create a circulation "circle" in the near end only (although, with no obstacles in the far end, does it really need GREAT circulation?).

I have both a skimmer and a floor drain - I have a T valve to the pump (similar to yours). Normally they are both open. If I get a lot of surface debris, I close the floor drain. If I have a lot of swimmers, and the pump is on, I close the skimmer so it doesn't suck in air.

Dan

Can you confirm this is PolyQuat-60? + another question

1. Is this PolyQuat 60?

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals/Pool-Algaecides/Algaecide-60-Plus/

In know that we should be able to avoid algae by following BBB, but I have submersible pool steps (not wedding cake, mine have vertical slots so as to not totally inhibit circulation) and I really worry about the cutting down circulation and causing an algae bloom --> thought using polyquat-60 would help with that -- seems like using poly-60 would be as good or better an idea than trying to rig up a tri-chlor puck under the steps.

2. Does that sound logical? That using poly-60 would be better than trying to rig up a trichlor puck under the steps? Even if I did the puck, that wouldn't address the "liner mat" i have under the steps.

Re: Can you confirm this is PolyQuat-60? + another question

According to the MSDS, it is indeed Polyquat: Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene (dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride 60%

But, I have no experience with dealing with water flow in steps ... so not sure if this is the preferred solution or not.

I think I will merge this with your other post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.