Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thinking of adding borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Thinking of adding borates

thinking of doing this since I have to brush sides of the pool for small dollar size spots of green algae few times a week. I keep my FC at 5. My problem is my fill water from the tap is 140 TA . Currently I have to drop the pH level from 7. 8 to 7.6 once a week with acid. This sounds normal, am I right? I have the water in the pool down to 120 TA. I also made some homemade aerator's. Am I fighting a battle I cannot win? Do I really need to have my pool down to 80 TA to do the Borates? should I just forget adding Borates?
    17000 gl. In-ground vinyl pool
    Naturesoft/aquarite SWG t-15 cell
    Vinyl liner measured and installed by me

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Before you consider borates, you need to deal with the algae issue. I would recomend starting a thread about it. Here is the link to the shocking process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

[attachment=0:7iegi2jj]20130506_183127.jpg[/attachment:7iegi2jj]lets say i do the shocking of my pool..
    what about the TA level I have and the fill water ....is this a uphill battle? will I always be trying to lower my TA? my water is crytal clear like it always is
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

my water is crytal clear like it always is
    If you have algae, I would not call that crystal clear. Your last post is a bit confusing....TA and your fill water have nothing to do with the need to shock your pool.

Borates is an optional item that many (including me) never use nor intend to.

If it was my pool, I would focus on removing the algae (you need more chlorine) and perhaps address the borates issue down the road.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

so sorry for me confusing my issue,
    i guess I'm asking>
    1) I have not be able to meet the SWG suggested TA of 60-80 since i will always be filling my pool with 140 TA (tap)levels.
    If I do Borates do I have to be in the 60-80 TA levels?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You can still lower your TA to the 60-80 level if you like. See the article in Pool School.

You do not have to have it at that level to use borates but it is a suggested level to achieve the best buffering benefits of borates.

I have always thought of borates as something to try AFTER all the other parameters in your pool are within the guidelines we suggest so, in effect, yes, you need to be at 60-80 TA to effectively benefit from borates.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh

I have always thought of borates as something to try AFTER all the other parameters in your pool are within the guidelines we suggest so, in effect, yes, you need to be at 60-80 TA to effectively benefit from borates.
    Thanks, very logical advise.