Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: POOL DOES NOT HAVE A FLAT BOTTOM..ANY IDEAS FOR POOL STEPS??

1. Back To Top    #1

POOL DOES NOT HAVE A FLAT BOTTOM..ANY IDEAS FOR POOL STEPS??

Hello! I have had nothing but problems since I decided to upgrade to the rectangular Intex pool. Last year we had an Intex 16x48 pool and I did not like the ladder but used it anyhow. This year I decided to upgrade and build a deck and purchase a staircase pool step. I am a newbie to the pool world and was not really sure what a "flat bottom pool" really was. I just assumed I had one NOPE!! I have a cupped bottom pool and now I am unable to use these steps. I have searched everywhere online to find a solution and have not found one other that using a traditional pool ladder. That idea is not an option since I purchased this pool with my mother in mind. She is unable to walk much due to bad knees and I know she will get much needed exercise in this pool. If only I can find a way to get her in there :P I am hoping someone on here is familiar with my issue or can steer me in the right direction so I can solve this issue and get to enjoying my pool! Thank you in advance for any great advice y'all might have
    Discovery LX resin pool 16,400 gal 1.5 hp Pentair sand filter counter sunk 2 ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: POOL DOES NOT HAVE A FLAT BOTTOM..ANY IDEAS FOR POOL STE

Is the actual floor or where the sides and the floor meet?
    Rob

Cozumel AGP 24' 14,700 gallons
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp pump
    Sta-rite Cristol-Flo II 2.3sq.ft. sand filter
    SWCG,Uni-bead liner
    Borates
    TF-100 Testkit....$68,cheap insurance for a trouble free pool season

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi CB,It is cupped where the sides and bottom meet. The actual bottom is flat once you're not near the sides.

4. Back To Top    #4

How big is the radius? My wedding cake steps have a chamfer on them at the wall. Here are some steps that shows a pretty good chamfer...do you think it would work? http://www.innovaplas.com/products/aboveground/4001/
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Linen, I will check on the radius this evening. I like the wedding cake style but I was unaware they had a cut out in the back.Here is a picture of the steps I purchased. The problem I see with these are the back raised section. Im worried that may rub against the cupped area of the pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

Those steps have a pretty good chamfer... just as good or better than the link I posted and the chamfer on my wedding cake steps. One idea might be to put a large shower mat (the kind with little suction cups) to protect the pool surface.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you! The shower mat sounds like a good idea. I will buy one and set it up this weekend.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have posted some shots of my wedding cake stairs and i have a coped edge also and they seem to work really well. They will attach to your deck once it is done.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you johnnysnok for the pictures. My steps will arrive on Friday and the deck will be built on Saturday. I am excited about it and thanks to you and linen I am no longer worried. Thanks a bunch!!