AZ Source for Double Bullnose Travertine Coping?

AZHeat

Feb 7, 2013
For all those in AZ, I know there are a lot of you. I'm in need of some 16" travertine coping (noche color), with factory double bullnose. Anyone know of a source? I have exhausted all my known sources and know it has to be out there. I have an exposed beam and the PB wants to just cut 12" pieces and seam in the middle. I'd rather have the 16" double bull nose factory cut. Any help is appreciated.

Our pool build (see sig) decking/coping was done by Spartan Concrete. I believe the travertine all came from Monterey Tile, but not 100% sure and I don't know if they have the travertine that big. They basically had two sizes of pavers - 12" X 12" and 12" X 6". They cut the 12X6 in half to make 6X6 so that there were 3 sizes for the decking. For the coping, they just cut each 12X12 single bull nose in half to make a 12X6, or when on a straight line, placed a full 12X12 on the bond beam in one piece and notched in a grout line. Looks identical to the 12X6 tiles. Very ingenious if you ask me.

Today, the PB employees (not Spartan) did some caps for my raised wall using 12X12 single bull nose cut into 12X6 pieces. They then cut each of those pavers to follow the curves of the wall as needed. The are two rows of pavers to make it a 24" cap. They did an excellent job on it and the seams look great. I'll post pics later of what this looks like on my thread.

What exactly are you trying to do that you don't want the PB cutting the pavers? I can tell you in my experience that if they know what they are doing, it's hard to tell that it was cut at all.

Bryan

Do you have a picture of what you are trying to cover?

If I understand it correctly you want the travertine top to be a total of 16" long so that it is one solid piece across the top of the beam. Won't you still have joint/grout lines in between each piece along the length of the wall?

For the end of the wall you will probably also need a piece that is bullnosed on 3 sides if you want the bullnose all the way around. In my build, the end pieces were bull nosed on 2 sides so that the bull nose went all the way around.

Bryan

No pics. Due to the slope of the lot, part of the pool has an exposed wall. Since it is exposed, it is the full 12" above grade. All my coping is travertine bullnose. Of course, the part where the decking goes right up to it, the coping is 12" to sit on the bond beam. The exposed wall is still 12" wide. With overhang, 12" coping won't fit. Design called for 16" factory double bullnose to allow for overhang and now the PB is saying they can't get 16" double bull nose. My options are to put a 16" single bullnose piece and they will grind it by hand on site. No way it will be similar to factory bullnose job IMO. Other option is to take the 12" and cut them down to 8" a each and butt them together. But since the 12" doesn't have a seam, it will look weird with potion of my coping with a seam in it and the other with no seam. I guess they could do like someone else suggested where they grind a line in the middle of the 12" to simulate a grout line but that seems counter productive to me. I just want what they spec'd out, 16" factory applied double bullnose.

No pics. Due to the slope of the lot, part of the pool has an exposed wall. Since it is exposed, it is the full 12" above grade. All my coping is travertine bullnose. Of course, the part where the decking goes right up to it, the coping is 12" to sit on the bond beam. The exposed wall is still 12" wide. With overhang, 12" coping won't fit. Design called for 16" factory double bullnose to allow for overhang and now the PB is saying they can't get 16" double bull nose. My options are to put a 16" single bullnose piece and they will grind it by hand on site. No way it will be similar to factory bullnose job IMO. Other option is to take the 12" and cut them down to 8" a each and butt them together. But since the 12" doesn't have a seam, it will look weird with potion of my coping with a seam in it and the other with no seam. I guess they could do like someone else suggested where they grind a line in the middle of the 12" to simulate a grout line but that seems counter productive to me. I just want what they spec'd out, 16" factory applied double bullnose.

I know this is a late post, I work at Cholla Tile in Tempe, we are capable of producing bullnose on just about any size of travertine in 3cm thickness. We have a "CNC" machine that does it, not "hand made".

I told the PB that he quoted it and I would wait until they had it in stock vs. the smaller. Of course waiting meant he would get his check later. He amazingly found it. 16" factory bullnosed. I'll have to take pics as I don't have any closeups of just that section of the coping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.