Pump Timer Combined with SWCG

RyanH

May 6, 2013
Kentucky
I have a 1.5 horsepower pump that is currently running 24 / 7. I am concerned with the amount of electricity it is using and am considering getting a timer to turn it on and off daily. The problem is I am also running a new SWCG and of course it only works when the pump is running.

So my question is, if I do get a timer when should it run? Should I run it all night when the chlorine isn't being "eaten" by the sun or should I run it during the day when people are swimming so the water stays cycled? Or am I crazy and it needs to run all day and night to keep up with the demands of creating chlorine and cycling the water?

This is my first time being a pool owner so I'm not sure how much electricity this will actually use. I did look at the previous owner's electricity bills and they were quite high during the summer. I am hoping that was because of too much AC use and not from the pool. However, after doing some research it seems 1.5 hp is quite large for a pump and it may be expensive.

Any advice is appreciated.

We recommend an average of 8-12 hours of run time - the pool needs at least one turnover of water per day. A pump that size will do that in 8-12 hours I'm sure. You can set the timer to run 4 hours during the day and the remainder in the evening/night. You do want daytime run time, helps avoid FC "dead spots" in pools.

Certainly there is no need to be running the large pump 24/7 and a timer is the answer.

It does not matter if you run at night or in the day too much. It can be beneficial for skimmer purposed to run multiple short periods spread over the day (maybe 3 period of 3 hours, etc).

The power to the SWG should also come off of the timer to ensure it can not come on without the pump.

Also, when you reduce the run time, you will need to increase the SWG output % to maintain the correct FC level.

Post up a full set of test results and we can see where you are at.

Some reading from Pool School (you should read it all if you have not already:
pool-school/pump_run_time

Thanks for the fast replies! Do you not think the flow meter on the SWCG is accurate enough to know to not start when water isn't moving? I've only owned it for about a week but I would worry if it powered on and off with the timer that it may not turn on correctly. I assume I should set the SWCG controller to 100% so it would run whenever the pump came on?

I posted my current pool readings in the "Getting Started" section here:

mineral-springs-salt-question-t58843.html

Do you think it could keep up with Chlorine demands running less than 100% if it is only on 8-12 hours a day? That is essentially only running the SWCG at 33%-50%. I assumed I would have to keep the pump running longer just to keep up with Chlorine.

Not necessarily. Every pool is unique - bather load, sun exposure, organics, etc. When your levels are in range (see this article :http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator ) you shouldn't have any trouble maintaining the FC level at a lower % setting. If you need 100% something isn't right or the SWG is not appropriately sized for the pool.

Yes I understand that. It just takes time to figure out the proper settings/run time because of all the variables - you have to just "get to know" your pool" by frequent testing at first, to see how the adjustments you make on the run time/% setting are affecting the water quality. Good luck :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cool, thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I go shopping for one later today.

When I switch to having the pump on a timer should I override the schedule to always have it on when people are swimming? Or does it not matter so much and just leave it on a schedule?

You can just leave it on a schedule. It will take a bit of time to figure out the run time required to keep the pool clean enough for you and then some time to dial in the SWG % setting to maintain adequate FC.

You will need to be testing your FC right before the pump turns on to ensure that it did not drop below the minimum.

If you expect high bather load, then supplementing with bleach before and/or after to boost the FC is typically a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.