cloudy water

connie

Jul 15, 2012
First thank you for all you have done to assist me this year so far and last. I am totally doing the BBB and actually this year pool is cloudy for start up. Started major green algae but did what the forums stated and now just into cloudy/milky water. I can see 1/2 way down.

Picked up a new test kit

here are my numbers

FC 0
PH7.5
TA 80
Hardness 200
CYA 30-50

I also picked up some DE first aid at Walmart today. I know chlorine big time. This afternoon it was at 10 so I am losing FC. I am going to add another 121 oz of 8.25%

Any other suggested greatly appreciated. Oh yea and filter been going strong for 4 days straight. Did backwash twice now.

Thank you

forgot to add in

20x4 Proseries pool Hayward 1 hp sand filter

Sounds like you're still in shocking mode, and I don't think one bottle is gonna get you to shock level for your CYA level of say----40ish. Check the CYA/Chlorine chart in pool school and punch in your # of gallons in the pool calculator.

It sounds like you are going at the shocking process a little imprecisely.

If your chlorine got to zero BEFORE you redosed, you are not shocking....just adding some chlorine every now and then.

Why the DE First aid? What is in it?

You are correct that I am still in shocking process. Today it is going to rain actually the next 4 days it is going to rain so should I continue to shock or wait until rain stops?
Duraleigh- I bought the DE first aid as that is all they had at the sotre. I had planned to add it in like de to the sand filter to help clear the pool water. Should I return it? It really is only de. Why it is called first aid is beyond me.

Can you post a pick of it? I've never heard of DE First Aid. I've heard of First Aid... it's an enzyme/clarifier product.
Yes you should continue to hold shock - the rain won't affect it provided it's not a "flooding" type rain that will cause organic debris to get into the pool.

connie said:
CYA 30-50
Is there any way you can narrow the CYA results to a more precise number? The CYA level is an important determinant in the amount of FC you need in order to properly shock the pool as well as for your ongoing maintenance level. Admittedly, the CYA test is the most subjective test to perform. The key to getting an accurate reading is lighting. I would stand outdoors with your back to the sun and hold the view tube at about waist level when taking the reading.

Here's a link to the full testing procedure (scroll to CYA - Cyanuric Acid section)
http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

I can see my pool bottom YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still some cloudiness but then again I CAN SEE (without glasses)the lines/squares on the bottom. I have a grey liner and gray/white bottom so will not look so blue as those with a blue liner but I am so happy. And it is rqaining of which I need to refil what I lost with backwashing and filtering, rinsing. etc.

I also added in another 200 oz of 10% chlorine. Pool school said to add in 331 oz and I already added in 121 so the other 200 went in this morning after reading your posts woodyp. Thank you so much. I am waiting for the rain to slow a bit so I can go out and test again to see if there is a drop in FC.

I will check in again later. Thank you all so much.

ps- did not add in DE filter aid yet and may just return. I can get several more gals. of chlorine to maintain for the cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.