green pool fixing underway...

Hi all,
totally new to the forum. Hi! I have a horrible green algae problem. Pinch a penny is my store. The recommended I dump in 4 jugs of chlorine 1st. 2nd, add a Suncoast All in One Algaecide. 3rd add 4 more jugs.
Well steps one and two are completed. The pool is no longer green, but it is still just as murky (looks like i dumped in a tub of DE but its a canister filter) My question is, should i add 4 more jugs, will that really clear it? I'm no pro, but i'm imagining having to use a clarifier or a flocculant. I am TOTALLY new to a canister filter too. DE was so easy compared to this.
Thanks for the help!
Freemachinist

Welcome to TFP!

We're gonna need a full set of test results to help you along. Don't buy any more miracle chemicals. Our preferred miracle chemical for shocking is plain old bleach! Read pool school a couple of times and consider ordering one of the test kits if you truly want to take control of your own pool. Go to user control panel/ Profile/ signature line and give us your pool specifics so everyone will know.

It's getting late might not get detailed response tonight, but might I suggest readin Pool School which is a link in top right corner of every page. It will answer all of your questions and those you didn't even know you had

ok, I went to pool school. THe BBB thing looks like a sound idea. I used it. Seems to have worked. But i'm still a little cloudy. To bring everyone up to speed...
Pool was so green I couldnt see the 1st step.
1.) added 4 jugs of Chlorine
2.) added Suncoast Algaecide ( worked )
3.) added 4 more Jugs of chlorine.

These methods cleared the water and dropped out all the dead algae. But left the water cloudy with a low alkalinity. I added 9lbs of Baking Soda (sodium bicarb) to raise the alkalinity (worked) I've been vacuuming everyday and rinsing the filter. I've even added a "miracle" clarifier that is not really working very well. Here are my results...
TC 4.0ppm
FC 4.0ppm
PH 7.6
TA 115ppm
CH 330 ppm
stabilizer 60ppm
disolved solids 2400ppm
Now how do I clear my water? I'm so new to the BBB idea that its hard to believe it works, though ive proved it to myself with the addition of the baking soda. Any help is greatly appriceated.

freemachinist said:
ok, I went to pool school. THe BBB thing looks like a sound idea. I used it. Seems to have worked. But i'm still a little cloudy. To bring everyone up to speed...
Pool was so green I couldnt see the 1st step.
1.) added 4 jugs of Chlorine
2.) added Suncoast Algaecide ( worked )
3.) added 4 more Jugs of chlorine.

These methods cleared the water and dropped out all the dead algae. But left the water cloudy with a low alkalinity. I added 9lbs of Baking Soda (sodium bicarb) to raise the alkalinity (worked) I've been vacuuming everyday and rinsing the filter. I've even added a "miracle" clarifier that is not really working very well. Here are my results...
TC 4.0ppm
FC 4.0ppm
PH 7.6
TA 115ppm
CH 330 ppm
stabilizer 60ppm
disolved solids 2400ppm
Now how do I clear my water? I'm so new to the BBB idea that its hard to believe it works, though ive proved it to myself with the addition of the baking soda. Any help is greatly appriceated.
Welcome!

Remember, it took more than a couple days for your pool to get in that condition, so it will take more than a couple days to clear it. Have you really studied http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool? If so, then you'd realize that you're waaaaay too low on chlorine. For 60 CYA (if pool store test is accurate, but that's a whole 'nother story) you need to raise FC to 24! And keep it there for several days, if not weeks. A recent thread on this very process: my-pool-experience-with-algae-t58756.html Pay attention to how much bleach was used!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.