Solar Blankets and Algae

Interested in your experience.

I have spent the past week trying to clear up an algae bloom. It has now occurred to me that my solar cover could be contaminated with algae. I used it the week I discovered the problem.

I use my cover only in the spring and fall. I put it on at night to stop the radiational cooling and keep my day warmed water in. I have a screened cage around my pool without a lot of deck space. In the morning i move the lounge chairs out of the way, pull the cover out of pool and fold in an acordian pattern then roll it up and put in a storage box outside my screen.

Could my cover be the problem? Is there where I got the algae from? Is algae growing on the cover in the box? I have no place to let the cover dry completely before putting it away and I always try to keep it out of the sun when not in use.

Suggestions?

Lisa

I doubt it.

Does the solar cover appear to have algae?

During the day during the shock process, you want the cover off so the full extent of the suns UV light can help oxidize the CC. At night, it probably doesn't hurt to have it on and if it does have stuff on it, then you will be killing that as well.

Yes I believe it can harbor algae spores if stored wet. But if you use it nightly chlorine will kill anything. If you are still shocking I would put it on tonight and let the shock level chlorine access it - get pool water on top - brush the top of it with a nylon pole/brush if you can.

I was told not to use it while shocking
It could wreck the solar blanket because of the high FC
It could introduce more algae into the pool
and I was told to just clean it with tap water(my tap water is around 5 FC)
and then it should be good to go
I know I'm very new at this but this thread is conflicting with some info I got already

SkyKid said:
I know I'm very new at this but this thread is conflicting with some info I got already
Good comment!

My perspective is: high chlorine levels have the potential to reduce the life of the solar cover, although probably less then what happens to the cover just being exposed to the sun. Ideally, leaving the cover off during the whole shock process is probably best, but putting the cover on during a couple of nights to kill any algae on it isn't going to hurt anything or the cover all that much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.