What is the corect salinity for my system ?

I just bought a house with a SWG, type "Natural Chlor SMC20). I don't know exactly how old it is but the paper manual states that the correct salt content should be 5-6 g/l which should correspond to 5-6000ppm. Looking at all the info in here does this not seem very high ?

Also by looking up their web page, the current technical info states 4 g/l (which they state is equal to seawater which obviously it is not):

http://www.naturalchlor.com/eng/eng-dom ... ticas.html

The salt content of my pool was down to less than 2000ppm and I just added 50kg of salt (NaCl) to it (approx 30m2 pool) which brought it up to about 2500ppm. Question now is how much more should I increase it ? I guess it is a lot easier to add salt than to reduce so I was hoping for some advice here before committing to more salt.

One other question also:

After an extended pool party with lots of drunken people falling in the pool with their clothes on the pool turned swampy and I shocked it with 4 liters of liquid chlorine. This did wonders to the color but I am now running above 10ppm chlorine (both free and total). How long should I expect for this to burn off or should I do something to actively bring it down. I am also slightly low on cyanuric acid content but figured I'd better keep that low to aid reduction of the chlorine. Any helpful tips here also ?

Thanks for a brilliant forum. I am a total newbie to pools so picked up a lot of useful info here:)

Ole
Gran Canaria, Spain

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, 4 g/l = 4000 ppm, but I understand your confusion if the paperwork states higher levels (maybe an older model?). I would suggest taking it up to 4000 ppm and seeing if the unit complains about a low salt reading. Hopefully it will report close to 4000 ppm. If it is reporting the correct level and complains it is too low, then I would raise it up to 5000 and see what happens.

The FC will drop quickly due to the sun (especially if the CYA is low).

Review Pool School (Button at the upper right of the page) for more information on the levels we recommend.

Problem is my SWG does not seem to read salt levels anymore. It does have two lights that should light up to indicate to high or to low salinity levels but none of these are lit. I would expect it to light up with what I measured as 1800ppm (mind you using stick tester but even with its inaccuracy it is surely very low).

Anyway, I'll get another 50kg of salt tomorrow and up the level to closer to 4000ppm. Going above this seems a little excessive I guess even if my paper manual states 5-6000ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.