Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mineral Springs Salt Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Mineral Springs Salt Question

I recently purchased a home with a 28k gallon pool. As a first time pool owner I had a lot of things to learn from the start, but one thing I wanted to do before the pool season started was to "convert to saltwater". I didn't really know what this meant at the time but I was told if I wouldn't be able to watch the pool constantly through the summer this was an easier way of maintaining the water balance. Since we are usually gone for several weeks during the summer I went to my pool store and made an appointment to get a Hayward/AquaRite system installed so we wouldn't come home to a green pool every time we left.

I was hesitant to add any chlorine to the pool while waiting for the pool guys to come out and put in the new SWCG because I didn't want the chlorine to interfere with the new saltwater system, so the pool sat for about two weeks (in retrospect I am quite lucky the pool didn't get cloudy or green). After the new cell and controller were installed the pool guys asked which type of salt I wanted to go with: plain salt, or "enhanced" salt. I was told if I used the enhanced salt it had all of the chemicals in it I needed and I wouldn't need to add anything else later, however if I went with the normal salt I would end up spending just as much money on all of the other chemicals required to balance the pool later in the summer. So I took their recommendation at went with BioGuard Mineral Springs Beginnings. I had to buy a lot of this stuff.. like 25-30 bags so it was quite expensive. I figured it was worth it though to prevent the headache of trying to keep things in balance later on.

After they put the salt in they said I would need to add Mineral Springs Renewal once a week to replenish lost salt and keep the ph down, so they sold me a case of that.

So, now that I was off and running with my saltwater pool, I got a LaMotte 2056 digital test kit (I am colorblind so this appeared to be the only option for me) and checked my levels. Here are the initial readings:

FCL: .33
    ph: 6.7
    Alkalinity: 35
    Calcium: 69
    CYA: 59

At this time I started researching water levels and tried to understand what condition my pool water was in (I know I was a little late to start. We were in the moving process before this and the pool got put on the back burner.) I discovered that my Chlorine levels were very low, the ph was quite low, and the CYA should be raised for the new SWCG. I started reading here on TFP about the BBB method and decided to give it a shot. I went to the store and got a few gallons of bleach, many boxes of Borax, 2 gallons of Muriatic acid, and two containers of "Stabilizer" from the pool store.

About a week later here are my readings:

FCL: 5.9
    ph: 7.7
    Alkalinity: 77
    Calcium: 74
    CYA: 64

So I got my Chlorine level up with the Bleach and now the SWCG is doing fine maintaining the Chlorine without adding anything else. My CYA isn't quite where I wanted it, but I'm giving it some more time to dissolve as I did just add the second container yesterday. So I'm feeling pretty good that I have things level but I am curious if anyone knows what exactly I bought from Mineral Springs? I feel like I wasted a lot of money on "Beginnings" and I have a case of "Renewal" that I don't even think I will open because I don't know what's in it. Does anyone have any experience with this product and can offer advice about the Renewal?
    20 x 45 ft Roman Lazy L, 28k Gallons, Vinyl, Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter (600 lb), 1.5 HP pump + Booster pump for Polaris 280, Hayward Gas Heater H300, Hayward T-15 SWCG w/ AquaRite digital controller

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Mineral Springs Salt Question

I feel like I wasted a lot of money
    The consensus here on the forum seems to agree with you. Stick with the SWG and common sense water management and you will have no use for fancy names (and prices) on things that don't do anything different.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm sorry that you were Pool Stored. Just know you are not alone - there are hundreds of thousands of people being pool stored daily.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, but the problem is I already bought it. Do you think I should use this case of "Renewal" or will it mess up what I'm trying to maintain?
    20 x 45 ft Roman Lazy L, 28k Gallons, Vinyl, Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter (600 lb), 1.5 HP pump + Booster pump for Polaris 280, Hayward Gas Heater H300, Hayward T-15 SWCG w/ AquaRite digital controller

5. Back To Top    #5

Sell it on Craigs List
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com