Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Back to Normal

1. Back To Top    #1

Back to Normal

So I have been reading this site religiously as part of my day. It is now part of my routine, Coffee, online papers, check new posts and unread posts.
    I have learned a wealth of knowledge, and believe me, I now understand why your first response is Read Pool School.

In all my reading on chemistry, and the posts and answers I have gotten so far, I do have a question.

I understand the schock process and using calculator to come up with numbers, and using my TF100 kit to get true accurate numbers.
    I understand that passing the 3 rules of the over night test, no CC and crystal clear water.

Once that is all met, how long does it take to get back down to "normal" conditions, understanding that Normal means completely different things to each and every pool.

Also at what level is it safe to swim in?

Sorry if this was in pool school, but I didn't see any reference to this there, and a search of normal level and shocking returns about 90% of the posts on this forum.
    22,300 gallon Inground Vinyl Liner pool
    Hayward DE 3620 filter Hayward Ecostar Variable Speed Pump
    1 Skimmer, 2 Main Drains, 2 Returns, 2 step Jets, 8 ft x 3ft waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: Back to Normal

As far as being safe to swim, we say it is okay when FC, based on CYA level, is between min and normal shock level.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    North Georgia

That is going to be pool dependent. CYA level would affect it, sunlight levels, usage after shock completion, daily debris accumulation in your pool etc. My pool takes days to week(s) to drop back down from shock levels but it is because i have it covered unless it is being swam in. It's taking so long right now i almost made a post about what could i dump in my pool to eat up my chlorine so i can test and adjust my PH......
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Kinda' recapping what has been posted, it's fine to swim in your pool if the FC level doesn't exceed the shock value posted in the FC/CYA chart.

I have been in my pool MANY times at shock value and have yet to see any fading of swimsuits, etc.

Letting the FC drift back down to normal usually takes a few days but it can vary quite a bit.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School