Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing the shaft/impeller seal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing the shaft/impeller seal?

I'm in process of putting on a new Sta-Rite Dura Glass motor. I have the ceramic seal already pressed into the housing between the motor and impeller. I tried to put the spring part of the seal on the shaft in between impeller and housing, but it seemed like the spring part of the seal did not sit flush up against the ceramic part. It was hard to see as I was doing it. I'm just wondering: should there be a space between the ceramic part and the spring seal? Or should the two pieces sit right up against each other?

I tried to look through previous posts, but didn't see any that said how tightly the two pieces went together....
    14,0000 gallon, rectangle, in-ground pool with Pebblesheen finish. 1 hp Sta-Rite Dura-Glas pump and TA60 Tagelus sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing the shaft/impeller seal?

The seal is made up of two parts, one half has a ceramic surface and the other has a carbon surface. When you put the impeller on and tighten it, the seal springs sound compress and the two surfaces should touch which creates a friction seal.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Changing the shaft/impeller seal?

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    The seal is made up of two parts, one half has a ceramic surface and the other has a carbon surface. When you put the impeller on and tighten it, the seal springs sound compress and the two surfaces should touch which creates a friction seal.
    Okay, that makes sense. Once I tighten down the impeller it will push them together. Thank you!
    14,0000 gallon, rectangle, in-ground pool with Pebblesheen finish. 1 hp Sta-Rite Dura-Glas pump and TA60 Tagelus sand filter.