Do they make a pool thermometer that will last years in sun?

rock

Apr 26, 2012
Do they make a good pool and spa thermometer that will last years in the sun and chlorine?

I've bought about ten pool thermometers over the past few years, all from Leslies and Home Depot, and they all become unusable within a year or two:
12866280.jpg

Can we buy or make our own more durable thermometer out of thermocouples perhaps?

Re: Do they make a pool thermometer that will last years in

Get a Pentair Inline Thermometer SL1DW
and install it in your plumbing. If you can put them in the right places you can monitor several temps. I have on on my filter out andone on the solar out to see heat gain.

If your spa is spillover type and doesn't have a suction line it won't work for that though.

You'll see them priced fairly high online, but you can grab them cheaper on ebay now and then.

JohnT said:
and install it in your plumbing. If you can put them in the right places you can monitor several temps. I have on on my filter out andone on the solar out to see heat gain.

If your spa is spillover type and doesn't have a suction line it won't work for that though.

You'll see them priced fairly high online, but you can grab them cheaper on ebay now and then.

I've wanted one after my solar so I can see the temp difference. How do they install? I googled but there was no inst. instructions.

bobby1017 said:
JohnT said:

I've wanted one after my solar so I can see the temp difference. How do they install? I googled but there was no inst. instructions.

You get a T fitting which is 1-1/2" or 2" with a 1" (I think) threaded port ast the 90 degree port. The nylon well screws into the threaded port, and the thermometer goes into the well.

JohnT said:
You get a T fitting which is 1-1/2" or 2" with a 1" (I think) threaded port ast the 90 degree port.

Yikes. I'm in the middle of moving my pumps. I wonder if I should add that fitting now, closed off, for later use.
12861328.jpg

I picked up this $15 waterproof electronic thermometer (-40°F to 450°F) which I will see if it floats or sinks when tethered in the pool.
13055019.jpg

Bump... I just want one that ties to the side of the pool.

I used to have a metal one that was great and lasted years. Now all the ones I see at the pool place are plastic and I end up returning them because they all float. I don't want it to float.

Does anyone know of any good ones that will last, are accurate, and maybe metal?

I did see some wireless ones that display the temp inside your house, but I'm sure that isn't too reliable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.