Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool owner, Glad to be here!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool owner, Glad to be here!

So last fall I bought a house in rough shape that came with an older in ground pool in the backyard. During my research to relearn what I was originally taught about pool care when I was a lifeguard back in High School/College I stumbled upon this place and found it monumentally helpful. Wanted to stop in and say thanks, and hopefully I won't need too much help since I believe I've started off on the right foot. (Fresh fill with the BBB method from the start)

Erik

PS, it was raining and overcast off and on all weekend but I promise get some pics of the pool up in the next few days if weather and pool cooperate.

First water test this morning was
    FC -0
    CC or TC - 0
    pH - 7.8
    CH - 90
    CYA - 0

(Hadn't dosed it with anything yet just getting a baseline before I begin)
    Erik

20k gallons, IG (Fiberglass), T-40 Sand Filter(38 GPM),Hayward Superpump w/1 HP motor, Solaxx Harmony (combo cleaner/SWG).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool owner, Glad to be here!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Get some CYA and FC in that pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Tonight's test results 24 hours after yesterday's preliminary readings and initial dosing.

FC -1 ppm
    pH - 7.6
    TA-110
    CH - 140
    CYA - 25
    Temp -58 degrees

Moving the right direction!
    Erik

20k gallons, IG (Fiberglass), T-40 Sand Filter(38 GPM),Hayward Superpump w/1 HP motor, Solaxx Harmony (combo cleaner/SWG).

4. Back To Top    #4

More FC ... before the water gets much warmer
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

We love sounding like stuck records.....more FC!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, I get it, more chlorine needed. . . I'm pretty good with the Chlorine and PH as I had to keep those in check many years ago when I was a lifeguard for a summer job. The rest of the tests I'm still learning a lot about. The BBB method seems pretty good to me so far and fits my budget for this house ATM. Still seems like a lot of work compared to our other pool but then again there is no bill from a pool company keeping this one up.

And I found a real "BEFORE" picture that my home inspector sent me from the week before we bought the house.

Erik

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by 2.ooohhh
    Still seems like a lot of work compared to our other pool....
    It's only a lot of work because it's a swamp. Once you get it clean, keeping it clean will be easier and cheaper than you ever could have imagined.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to tfp, 2.ooohhh

Glad to have you here

I think that will be a great pool once you get control of it...it looks very private.

...ohhh yeah...more FC
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Doubt the deep end could get much clearer, if my iphone had a better lens on it I think I could tell what type screws are holding the drain cover in. Can't wait to get my tanks filled and finish cleaning the bottom.

Erik