I have a smaller fixture in my spillover spa, and a normal size fixture in my pool. Neither work.
I removed the fixture from the niche in my spa, and there was no slack to allow me to get it the surface. Nor was there a waterproof type connector on the back of it that would allow me to disconnect it to bring it to the dry.
Pressing blindly forward, I removed the retaining ring for the clips on the backside of the light and tried to pry the cover off. No go. I was thinking it was vacuum locked, but then I noticed some white caulk around the ID of the ring, between it and the lens.
So, I'm thinking the previous owner had some fixture flooding problems and decided to seal it with some goo. Great.
There is a set of pvc pipes with an electrical cover of some sort that comes up in a nearby garden bed. This is the only one I've seen, so I assume that's the lights' shared elect. conduit. I'm thinking I should disconnect the wiring, and pull it through toward the niche so that I can get the fixture in the dry to either replace or repair it.
What do you guys recommend to attach to the wiring so I can pull it back through after I'm done? Parachute cord? HI test nylon like trotliners use? Any tips? I've never pulled wiring before.
If it helps, according to the fixtures nearly ruined label, it's 120V, and I think the bulb is a halogen type, due to the warnings about not touching it.
I sure hope I don't find the same problems with my pool niche.