Getting my rubber ducks in a row before pool build.

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
:lovetfp: I love all the helpful people on this forum that are willing to help us newbies that are scared to death to make a mistake with our pools.

Background - we purchased a used AGP that was already torn down before we purchased it. It is a 33' round and 48" deep pool We think it is made by Wilbar, but don't know the model or what brand name it was sold under.

We originally planned to try and re-use the liner that came with the pool, but we have come to our senses and are going to follow the advice on this forum and purchase a new liner. Before I place the order for the liner I want know if there is other stuff that we should purchase and replace when we set up the pool. Somewhere I think I read that you should also replace the skimmer gasket.

So, here is what I know we will need to have on hand when we are ready to start our pool build. It will be DIY.

-Replacement liner - need to order
-Replacement skimmer gaskets? - do we need to replace these or just use the old ones? Are skimmers standard sizes? Ours measures 14"
long. Would this be considered a "wide mouth" skimmer?
-Patio blocks for the uprights
-Approx 6 tons of sand - don't remember where I got that info, does that sound about right?
-Tools, tools and more tools - DH has a laser level.
-We will have to excavate down about 18" to get to ground level
-We are planning on doing a deep end so will need to excavate that area - will we need more sand because of the deep end?
-Lots of duct tape to cover all of the sharp edges
-Pool came with foam cove - can we re-use that or should we just make a sand cove?
-Pool came with a heavy duty ground cloth - does this go under the sand? - will we still be able to use it with the deep end?
-What about the foam wall liner stuff - does it work to help keep the pool warm? I am concerned we will never get this pool
warm because it is so big. It will receive pretty much constant sun all day long. I don't swim in cold pools
-Solar cover - need to purchase - looking for recommendations
-Need to purchase sand for the sand filter
-Extra large patio slab to put equipment on.
-PVC to bury equipment cords and tubes (just a short run to get it away from the pool)
-Electric access
-Ordered my TF-100 pool kit yesterday so I can start playing with our tap water (we are on a well, so this should be interesting) we
would like to find someone to haul in water because I know our well can not handle this pool. Researching this.

I'm sure I am missing the obvious, please add to my list. We really want to have everything here on hand before we begin because we live about 20 miles from the closest hardware store.

I will try and remember to take photos along the way during our build and post them for you all to laugh at our rookie mistakes. We probably won't start our build for a couple of weeks, but now is the time to get organized and ready.

Do you have the instructions?Can you find them online?

PVC or hoses....correct size?
If hoses....do you have hoses?extra gear clamps?
If PVC.....Do you have enough fittings,glue,primer,pipe...

Do you have gaskets for return?
Do you have enough screws for uprights & top rail?Enough bolts and washers for the pool wall?

CB said:
Do you have the instructions?Can you find them online?

PVC or hoses....correct size?
If hoses....do you have hoses?extra gear clamps?
If PVC.....Do you have enough fittings,glue,primer,pipe...

Do you have gaskets for return?
Do you have enough screws for uprights & top rail?Enough bolts and washers for the pool wall?

THANKS for your response. I have found and printed off some instructions. I have also printed off the Doughboy expandable liner instructions that someone had linked in another thread. It looked quite helpful.

There are tons of hoses that came with the pool. I think I will sort those out later. Some of them are probably for the pool critter. I think it will take us a long time to get the pool filled.

Don't have gaskets for the return. Are these a standard size? I need to look in to this.

I haven't looked in the box full of all the screws. Probably a very good suggestion.

Anything else?

Some other questions that have come up.....

We have a salt water generator that we used on our 15x48 Intex. Would this be big enough to service this pool or if we went with the SWG method would we have to purchase a different unit?

When we set up the pool and start to put water in....if we are not able to get it filled up all the way, would it be OK for a day or two with just a foot or so of water in it. Is that enough to hold the pool walls up in a good wind or are we playing with fire? I know our well won't be able to fill our pool and so far I have not located anyone to haul some water in for us. I'm concerned if we start to get it set up and can't get much water in it that it will get knocked over by the wind. Any input?

We have one pool light that came with the pool. There was a second light that was broken. I don't remember the brand or model of the light off the top of my head, but is there any way to know if one light will be adequate?

THANKS in advance.

:bump:

Still looking for any additional input you may have.

We have actually started excavating the area where we are going to put the pool. WOW!!! That is a lot of work!! We are getting close to having it level, but still have more work to do.

Can anyone answer how much sand we will need??

What about the ground cloth? Do we need it if we use sand? I don't know if the one that came with the pool will work since we are going to put in a deep end.

What about the return gasket? Are these a standard size or do I need to take it in to the local pool store with me?

Do I need to have the bleach, borax and ? chemicals here on hand for when we start filling? If so, any suggestions on how much to have on hand?

THANKS in advance.

I can answer a couple of those questions, but my pool came with my house, so I know nothing about construction.

The SWG will be woefully undersized. Need to get a bigger one, especially since the recommendation here is to buy a unit for a pool 1.5-3X bigger than what you have.

As for a foot of water for a day or so, you can calculate the gallonage in the pool, and pour in enough bleach to bring it up to 1-2ppm (remember, no CYA yet) and brush really well to mix if you want the peace of mind. If you're going to get it filled in a day or two, you'll probably be fine.

As for chemicals ahead of time, don't buy quite yet. Since you don't have test results, you don't know what you need, so it doesn't make sense to buy yet (remember, the whole point of BBB is to buy and put in only what you need). Test your fill water and post the results, and we can help you predict what you might need. While you're waiting for the build, start pricing bleach, baking soda, borax, muriatic acid. That way you know good prices and can pull the trigger when you need to.

Hope that helps a little!

Hi! best wishes to you in getting your pool up. the only question I may be able to help with is we were able to keep our pool clear with no pump running for over a week by adding bleach every day and swishing it around . it also took 5 days to fill from our well also and it was fine being less than 1/4 full for over a day. We have 27' sharkline heritage pool.

hope everything goes well for you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.