HELP!!!

I recently bought a home with a pool. I've never had a pool in my life and don't know where to begin. The pool water is very green. I ran a leaf net across the bottom several times and am pucking up a lot of green " goop". Should I try to clear out the water first or should I try to clean out as much goop as I can while not being able to see it? I would like to avoid draining at all costs. I live in an area that is in the middle of a drought, and our current water restrictions do not allow for filling a swimming pool. Thank you in advance for your advice!!!

Welcome to tfp, nodyesac :wave:

You are at the right place, we have helped many people in your position and can help you as well.

Poolschool (link near the upper right of each page) has tons of info that you will find helpful.

Before doing anything, getting an appropriate test kit is very important and will make your clean up and subsecqant pool maintianing simple and as low cost as possible. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

For now do you have any test results you can share with us? Tell us the source of the results as well.

Until we have a good idea of your pools chemistry, it probably is good just to keep scooping blindly, since all the crude needs to come out eventually anyways.

Here is a another poolschool article relevent to your situation: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae

Also, please review this poolschool article to help us get the information we need to help you: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/read_before_you_post

You probably want to go ahead and address that pH since it could be WAY over 8.2 as that is the limit of the test range.

You can use either muriatic acid or dry pool acid to lower the pH, but will need circulation while doing it, pool calculator can tell you how much, but it should be in the ballpark of 2 qt muriatic acid.

Ike

You are going to need to backwash a lot during the process since you will filter a lot of gunk out. As stated, you want to start by lowering PH. If the pump works, run it on high. After an hour or two, retest the PH. If you are at around 7.5, you start shocking with bleach/liquid shock. Please read the links posted by linen to get the process. Make sure you keep an eye on the PSI on your filter during the whole process and backwash as needed. And yes, try to scoop as much stuff out as possible. You can start this process even before your new test kit arrives. The new test kit will make the shock part easier to manage and more reliable though.

If you have a brush you can use that to stir the chemicals. However, since your pool is already green, I'd recommend just waiting. We recommend mixing in bleach with a brush when someone's water is clear but their pump will be out of service for a few days.

Ok, I've been scooping and scooping. I got the PH down to 7.2. Should I start the shock process now? I backwashed the filter last night and it took quite a while to get the water semi-clear. There is still a bit of cloudiness to it. Should I do the deep clean of the sand (take off filter top, run water hose in sand) that I read about in another post first?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.