NEWBIE who needs advice:) Tan liner pool in the Northeast

May 6, 2013
We live in Northern NJ and just had a guy out for an estimate for an inground pool for about 45k (without heater). We are going to try to get some different estimates too but would love any advice or tips that I can get as we really have no idea! We are in a rocky area so we will be using boulders in the landscape and are debating about shape, size, concrete patio color and liner color. We are leaning toward a tan liner because I love the look and have heard it increases the temp of the pool a lot. Do you think we need a heater in Northern NJ? Also, I love the lagoon shape but am open to rectangle or free form. Also if you have any pool contractor recommendations for NJ that would be awesome! Thanks!!!

Re: NEWBIE who needs advice:) Tan liner pool in the Northeas

Hi, welcome! Congrats on your decision to build a pool!

Where have you read that a tan liner causes the pool to be warmer?

I'm biased but i like my rectangular pool, especially for volleyball. I also wanted rectangular because it allowed us to install an auto cover which i really like. Do you have small kids?

We have a large first step, kind of like a tanning ledge, we really like it too.

Are you considering adding a spa/hot tub?

Do you have any pictures of the proposed location?

Re: NEWBIE who needs advice:) Tan liner pool in the Northeas

If you have natural gas already as your home heat source, I'd recommend it over a heat pump.

I was thinking about getting a heat pump for up here in NH, but couldn't find any reason to use one. Then I thought "Why am I even thinking about a heat pump, when I have NG seven feet from the pool, already?"

If you have the space - solar panels, for sure. I wish I could use solar, but don't have the yard space.

But yes, get a heater... whatever type you want, but get one.

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.