I have been battling algae in the pool for about a month. Pool is about 23,000 gallons and I let it slide over the winter so that it had a dark green algae. I tried shocking with about 10 shock packets and that did nothing. Pool still registering zero chlorine. I then went to pool store to test and it turned out that phosphate levels and other things were way out of whack. I was told to drain the pool by two feet (it goes down to eight feet). I drained about 18 inches. I also added a bunch of zero phosphate and shocked, as instructed. Pool was still out of whack. I was told to drain another another two feet and refill (this time I did the whole two feet). I also followed instructions and threw in another bottle of zero phosphate. There were two more episodes of shock, the last with five large containers of liquid chlorine. By this time, suction was becoming a problem and I got new filters (Hayward) because old filters were clogged with all the zero phosphate and stuff, I was told.
The green is now gone. Chlorine is measuring well above standard, so I haven't add the tablets/floater back yet. The problem is that the pool is kind of a milky color and I can't see the bottom. This has been the situation now for six days. I have cleaned the filters two or three times, washing away the milky substance, whatever it is. But still pool is milky. Will this clear up on its own? Should I go back to pool store for further tests, chemicals?
Any and all help greatly appreciated.