HELp!! got most of my new 18X33 Sharkline Matrix installed

May 6, 2013
I am replacing an old pool that rusted out, Got all but one top Rail to fit. I have followed the manufacturer's instructions ( which were woefully incorrect for my pool) and now i am not sure what to do, One one place for a top rail is spread 1 inch too far, bottom is correct, wall is correct, I got all of the plastic connectors installed except for that one spot? Anyone ever had this fit problem with a sharkline? should I hire an installer to help me troubleshoot the problem, I am an hour north of Philadelphia.

Re: HELp!! got most of my new 18X33 Sharkline Matrix install

I am not sure about the sharkline... but my pool's top rail has some adjust-ability in it. I had a gap at the end as well and had to go around the pool and redistribute the space slidding the top wall rim pieces and top rail to make up the gap.

Loosening the top rails and readjusting will fix this for you. If you tighten them down as you go, it doesn't give you slack to work with.

The manufacturers installation steps were woefully wrong for your pool - that they manufactured?
Something dosn't compute there.
Did you snap the rails into the top of the post where the rail clamps are?

Re: Help!! got most of my new 18X33 Sharkline Matrix install

Yes, the manufacturers instruction were wrong and that was their customer service dept that told me that when i called to ask questions.

And yes, I had installed the top rails as I went along, which was incorrect as when i got to the last wall rim it was 2 inches short.

I do appreciate the help folks, I will remove all of the top rails and work to align the Rims and Stabilizer spacers so they all fit before I try to install the Top rails.

It also did not help that 4 pieces including a top rail had pieces broken off out of the box.

I just bought a Sharkline Venture and I have noticed quite a few complaints, including my own, with lack of instruction manuals. They sent me a youtube dvd and told me, That's your manual! :shock: I called PSW and a very nice woman sent me an attachment to my email. It stopped on page 8 and I called back and she literally copied it to paper for me and had it in the mail in 2 days! It is WAAAAY better than the DVD!

Thanks much for the advice, I got the pool together and are filling a foot to get the wrinkles out of the liner. I will say i broke 2 top rails and wall rims trying to get them in place, Wilbar is being good and shipping them to me, but was a very tough install.

Pool looks great! Now get that deck done and take a dip!!! :mrgreen:

The pool looks great! After firing 2 pool installers before they even started, my husband and I are going to tackle an 18x33x52" Heritage Sharkline in the coming weeks. My sister and her husband did an 18x33x54 Quest last year and they said they called The Pool Factory, where we both purchased our pools, when they had questions and that the staff there were great! I'm hoping this goes without any more wrenches being thrown in. I expected to be swimming by this weekend which is obviously not going to happen since the grading isn't even complete (the reason we fired installer #2).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We had a tough time getting the parts to line up, broke a few of the top rails and rims, ordered new ones from wilbar, but all done now

Attachments

• finishedfinally.jpg
    finishedfinally.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 282

*flips laptop upside down to take in view*

Looks great! :cool:

28ft Round Sharkline Matrix Installation Cannot Fit Top Rail

We are installing a 28ft Round Sharkline Matrix and struggled a bit when connecting the sidewall at the bottom it did not want to meet about 1/2 inch. Got that settled. Then installed the liner, filled pool a couple feet, then cut out skimmer, etc. Now this is a self-install and when you follow the instructions, they are not specific as to when to fill the rest of the pool, when to install all of the top rail sections, etc. No troubleshooting questions and answers. Cannot contact anyone at the manufacturer, all they let you do is register your warranty. When we installed our doughboy 8 yrs ago, we did not have these issues and all the pieces fit fine. On this Sharkline we used the wall foam for the first time. That seemed to be fine. I guess the mistake we made was we did not put more than the coping strips on the liner until the liner was set correctly, then we added the rim stabilizers. We did not connect all the top rails then, just left the rim stabilizers because we had to adjust the liner several times. We have an overlap liner and our pool floor had a dugout of about 2 ft deep by 6 ft by about 12 feet from the old pool dugout. So we had to adjust the liner often to unwrinkle, etc. and pull it taught. Now our problem is the top rail does not meet. We are draining the pool down now and inspected the bottom rail and noticed that there could have been some movement where the upright is where the wall seam is. You can see the bottom rim appears to have spread out a bit more than around the other uprights. So at this point we are thinking that it spread there and if we can correct that problem, the top rails should be able to align. Once the pool was filled a couple feet when we cut in the skimmer box my husband removed all the stakes we were using on the outside. What do you think we should do at this point. We measured across the top like we did when we aligned the bottom rail. We inspected all the top rail pieces as the pool store thought maybe accidentally we received a piece that was not the correct size and just to rule out a part malfunction. We are out of time and out of patience. Does anyone have this problem too when installing. Of course, we are not professional pool installers who work out the bugs and know what to look out for. Overall the instructions are pretty useless if this is the result. Not enough detail to ward off a problem. We also viewed a video installation but that goes quick and is not extremely specific either.

Just want to pipe in here and note that this is not universal with all Matrix pools.
The instructions I received with mine covered all aspects of the install and covered everything I needed, the only trouble I ran into were in a couple of spots near the end where I wasn't reading carefully.
Also, I got my pool from FamilyPoolFun.com and they communicated over the phone and in email that if I encountered installation problems to contact them for help.

I'm just wondering if this is less about the manufacturer and more about the retailer.

Install of Matrix 28ft round pool

Thank you for the advice. I know that the retailer should be there for support. When I first went to purchase the pool I found a great price online from California, we are in Wisconsin. A link popped up for a city near here where the pool store would beat prices. I called there and it is great to have a close contact with the retailer instead of dealing across the country to 800 number people who can barely take an order. If the manufacturer does not support the purchaser, then the burden is on the retailer. Thanks for the support. The retailer refers out to installers but does not support or stand behind then because they cannot.

Install of top rail on 28ft round sharkline matrix

We drained the water down and it gave the top rail more flexibility to connect. All pieces fully connected as of now! Awesome 4th of July now. I will write the company and make suggestions to their instructions with a bit more detail to help someone else. I will also call the retailer and let them know too. Thanks for all your help. Great forum to live and learn.

When I did mine I got the toip rails wrong the first time and it was hard tightening those plastic screws, the top wall rim was not housed in the leg properly.
I wish my memory was better but I know that somehow I got the wall rim peices in there wrong, I don't know how because looking at the manual now it's very clear, irregardless I redid them and everything tightened up quite easily after that. It was a night/day kind of thing.

We take delivery of our Sharkline 18' round tomorrow, and have hired an installer. We are building the surrounding deck and have already completed phase 1. Still waiting before starting on the part that will meet the pool itself. I may have questions along the way and will depend on you folks for all your help and expertise. We have a sloped back yard sloping away from the house sorta like Brinvic's looks. Our pool will snug up to our elevated concrete patio and have decking half way around it. We must reinforce and build a retaining wall between the pool and that. May be challenging.
Has anyone built their deck to go out over the pool rim so that you see only your decking? Thinking of doing this. Want it to look as built in as possible. I have big plans for the look of the deck. Am planning to make faux rocks with a lightweight concrete mix and chicken wire so they will be very light and use that to construct a boulder waterfall with the return into the pool. Deck levels (3) are in the round to compliment the pool. We will post pics when these are done.

Will bookmark this thread and return when we have the pool installed.

This will be our second above ground, I have maintained an inground as well. Our last pool was a salt cell pool and we will do this one like that as well.

Sounds great! Good move hiring an installer. After I had to fire 2, there were none left so my husband and I ended up doing it ourselves. I'm all in to home improvement projects and have put down tile floors, changed out kitchen and bathroom sinks, toilets, etc but would never want to do a pool install again!
Anyway, regarding your deck - I would love to hear what others have to say as well. Unless you have the deck several inches above the pool rail, I think you would have to lay the boards perpendicular to the pool. This means that, if you ever have to change your pool liner, you would have to pull up the whole deck around the perimeter of the pool. This is the case for an overlap liner, but I'm thinking it might be the same for a unibead?

From what I have researched, the unibead, which is what we ordered, can be changed simply without lifting the rails, and if we go that route, the deck would be above the rails enough to change the liner.

My husband and I framed out the inside of our metal commercial building home just the two of us, and finished it from floor to ceiling, but I knew the pool would require precision with the leveling of the floor. Worth the $599 they are charging to us to get that right. My hubby did the hard plumbing of our last pool so he knows how to set that up, but it will be nice not to have to worry about doing that either.
But if anyone has any experience with the decking, please comment. Our last pool, we also built the deck and came up under the rails with the decking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.