Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running pump for first time

1. Back To Top    #1

Running pump for first time

PB is nearing completion of our build. They will be running the pump for the first time in a week or so. During the build, it was rainy quite a bit, and I saw mud and even a stray rock or two get into some of the plumbing. Also, the main drains had quite a bit of dirt and tree debris fall in them before they trimmed them out.

I am assuming the few rocks will be caught by the pump basket, so not a big deal. However, all the dirt and mud will go straight to my new cartridge filter. Any tips/thoughts on how to prevent? I am thinking about asking the PB if they have any "spare" cartridges they will swap out for the initial start up...then put my new cartridges in thereafter?

Is this necessary...or am I worrying about nothing
    Paul
    Sterling Steel IGP lagoon 21' x 35' w/6' deep end, Pentair 5g LED lights (x2), Pentair Landscape LED light, Pentiar IntelliFlo VS pump, Pentair 420 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC20, 4 gas Tiki Torches, LoopLoc Ultra Loc II, Deck Jets(x3), Raised Planter Bed with 3 Pentair bronze sheer decents, AquaBot Breeze 4WD, Pentair Legend II

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running pump for first time

Run the filter on WASTE until it starts to clear up. That way you will not gunk up you cartridge...Also run a hose into the pool at the same time to add water back in...

3. Back To Top    #3

With my cartridge filter, I am not sure I have a "waste" option. Guess I need to check when I get home.
    Paul
    Sterling Steel IGP lagoon 21' x 35' w/6' deep end, Pentair 5g LED lights (x2), Pentair Landscape LED light, Pentiar IntelliFlo VS pump, Pentair 420 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC20, 4 gas Tiki Torches, LoopLoc Ultra Loc II, Deck Jets(x3), Raised Planter Bed with 3 Pentair bronze sheer decents, AquaBot Breeze 4WD, Pentair Legend II

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok - How Do you plan to winterize your pool ? Do the same thing but just enough until the water runs clean. Again run a water hose into the pool at the same time to back feed the pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

I think you might be worrying over nothing. I find landscape rocks in my filter basket from time to time and dirt/mud is a constant out here. Now if you saw a fist sized chunk of concrete or rock in there thats different. My cartridge filter does not have a waste option. Congrats on your new pool!
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

6. Back To Top    #6

@Shane1, that is reassuring....I am probably worrying about nothing
    Paul