Need to regrout tile---advice/suggestions???

Sep 6, 2011
NorCal
I have several tile joints with cracking, degrading, or missing grout. As a result, I'm losing water approx. 1"/day. I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions on which grout to go with for diy project. Pool is approx. 12 years old. Thanks.

Normal grout can be used just fine on pool tile. Grout is not waterproof and I doubt the missing grout is causing your leak.

Let the pool leak down until it stops. The water level at which it stops will be the point of your leak.

duraleigh said:
Normal grout can be used just fine on pool tile. Grout is not waterproof and I doubt the missing grout is causing your leak.

Let the pool leak down until it stops. The water level at which it stops will be the point of your leak.

Hi Dave. Ty for the response. I found styrofoam beads behind all of the grout joints that are missing grout. Is that normal? I'd rather stay away from normal grout. What do you think about epoxy grout, EZ patch or any other products? All of the grout needs to be replaced as it is breaking down around the entire pool.

I found styrofoam beads behind all of the grout joints that are missing grout
No that is not normal. Masonry products (tile) need a firm inert substrate and styrofoam isn't. Are you saying there is a styrofoam sheet behind the tile?

Epoxy grout is not for the faint hearted. Unless you have used it before, I would seldom consider that a DIY task. I have no idea what EZ patch is.

Did you let your water drain down to a stopping point?

duraleigh said:
I found styrofoam beads behind all of the grout joints that are missing grout
No that is not normal. Masonry products (tile) need a firm inert substrate and styrofoam isn't. Are you saying there is a styrofoam sheet behind the tile?

Epoxy grout is not for the faint hearted. Unless you have used it before, I would seldom consider that a DIY task. I have no idea what EZ patch is.

Did you let your water drain down to a stopping
A
It Stopped At Where The Tile Meets The Pool Wall. If I Was To Guess I'd Say The Culprit Is The Skimmer Opening Due To The Amount Of Grout That Is Missing. Tested WaterToday And Calcium Is At 170. Was Told To add 17#.

Melt In The Sun said:
Can picture of it? Especially your skimmer, where you believe the leak is.

I'llTryToTomorrow If I Get My Car Fixed BeforeGoing To Work. As Far As The Styrofoam, I Hope Its Not A Sheet. All I Can See AreBeads. Maybe It Was Put In As A Filler. I Filled Up The Pool On Tuesday. I'll Count The Days And Amount Of Drop. Unfortunately, I Don't Have A Valve ToAlternate Between Skimmer And Main Drain. Kind Of Sucks Bc I'mGoingTo NeedToDrainWhen I ReGrout.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.