Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to regrout tile---advice/suggestions???

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to regrout tile---advice/suggestions???

I have several tile joints with cracking, degrading, or missing grout. As a result, I'm losing water approx. 1"/day. I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions on which grout to go with for diy project. Pool is approx. 12 years old. Thanks.
    approx. 18k gal, IG gunite w/ fiberglass overlay, Polaris 280, Centurion 1hp/1.65 sf pump, AO Smith 3/4 hp/ 1.50 sf booster pump, Mytilus FMY-150 cartridge filter. Pool remodel has started and will be upgrading to Pebble Sheen Ocean Blue, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, LED multicolor or white light, and Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. Pool automation and solar heat automation to come later.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Need to regrout tile---advice/suggestions???

Normal grout can be used just fine on pool tile. Grout is not waterproof and I doubt the missing grout is causing your leak.

Let the pool leak down until it stops. The water level at which it stops will be the point of your leak.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Normal grout can be used just fine on pool tile. Grout is not waterproof and I doubt the missing grout is causing your leak.

Let the pool leak down until it stops. The water level at which it stops will be the point of your leak.
    Hi Dave. Ty for the response. I found styrofoam beads behind all of the grout joints that are missing grout. Is that normal? I'd rather stay away from normal grout. What do you think about epoxy grout, EZ patch or any other products? All of the grout needs to be replaced as it is breaking down around the entire pool.
    approx. 18k gal, IG gunite w/ fiberglass overlay, Polaris 280, Centurion 1hp/1.65 sf pump, AO Smith 3/4 hp/ 1.50 sf booster pump, Mytilus FMY-150 cartridge filter. Pool remodel has started and will be upgrading to Pebble Sheen Ocean Blue, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, LED multicolor or white light, and Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. Pool automation and solar heat automation to come later.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I found styrofoam beads behind all of the grout joints that are missing grout
    No that is not normal. Masonry products (tile) need a firm inert substrate and styrofoam isn't. Are you saying there is a styrofoam sheet behind the tile?

Epoxy grout is not for the faint hearted. Unless you have used it before, I would seldom consider that a DIY task. I have no idea what EZ patch is.

Did you let your water drain down to a stopping point?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I found styrofoam beads behind all of the grout joints that are missing grout
    No that is not normal. Masonry products (tile) need a firm inert substrate and styrofoam isn't. Are you saying there is a styrofoam sheet behind the tile?

Epoxy grout is not for the faint hearted. Unless you have used it before, I would seldom consider that a DIY task. I have no idea what EZ patch is.

Did you let your water drain down to a stopping
    A
    It Stopped At Where The Tile Meets The Pool Wall. If I Was To Guess I'd Say The Culprit Is The Skimmer Opening Due To The Amount Of Grout That Is Missing. Tested WaterToday And Calcium Is At 170. Was Told To add 17#.

6. Back To Top    #6

Can we see a picture of it? Especially your skimmer, where you believe the leak is.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Can picture of it? Especially your skimmer, where you believe the leak is.
    I'llTryToTomorrow If I Get My Car Fixed BeforeGoing To Work. As Far As The Styrofoam, I Hope Its Not A Sheet. All I Can See AreBeads. Maybe It Was Put In As A Filler. I Filled Up The Pool On Tuesday. I'll Count The Days And Amount Of Drop. Unfortunately, I Don't Have A Valve ToAlternate Between Skimmer And Main Drain. Kind Of Sucks Bc I'mGoingTo NeedToDrainWhen I ReGrout.