Another Suction Side Leak Post

Jun 19, 2011
Trophy Club, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking for some help. Recently installed new equipment, all new plumbing, and new jandy valves at my equipment pad.

For whatever reason, after I installed the intelliflow VS pump I have a suction side leak that I can't seem to locate.

I get a lot of bubbles in my basket at all speeds and it does not seem to matter whether I have my three way valve set to pull from the pool or spa or both. I have one three way jandy valve and a quick connect union between the pump and where my piping comes out of a cement pad (see pics). I used the shaving cream to check for suction on the jandy valve and the union. Didn't seem to pull any of the shaving cream in. Also checked the pump lid and small plug at the bottom of the pump. Still bubbles and the pump won't hold prime and the filter gets full of air.

I am stumped. Any suggestions to help me trouble shoot this problem?[attachment=1:xii3rqle]CAM00031.jpg[/attachment:xii3rqle]

Attachments

• CAM00031.jpg
    CAM00031.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 118
  • Main Lines.jpg
    Main Lines.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 117
Any suggestions to help me trouble shoot this problem?
I would test the pipes underground as an absolute last resort. They seem to be the issue far less than 5% of the time.

Get very methodical. Start at the skimmer and make sure your pool water is high enough so that you are not sucking air from the skimmer. Then move to the suction pipes as they come out of the ground and inspect each joint....especially the unions. Are the drain plugs on the pump snug? Is the O-ring on the top of the pump seated correctly?

These leaks are often quite subtle but, with diligence, can be tracked down.

Having dealt with many union leaks installing irrigation systems, they can fool you. If they are in any bind at all, the threads will get tight, but the o-ring will no seat well and slowly leak. May be somewhere to check. Good luck tracking it down.

If it will run a little bit but draw bubbles you can let a hose run on the various fittings in the area. The water will stop the air leak while its being applied. I had a bad oring in my valve. Covered it with water and was able to find it in a few seconds.

I just located my air leak. I was replacing pump, jandy valve and plumbing so I was hoping that would help, but no such luck. The pouring water over each fitting is a good test. Also try tying plastic grocery bags at each fitting to "seal" them. I built my own water/air pressure tester, but couldn't use because I couldn't get a positive seal on the skimmer. I also built a stethoscope pvc pipe listening device which was no help. I had a 6" space of dirt between deck and rock wall so I dug down and got wet dirt within 15" so living in the desert this confirmed my worst fear. My leak was a cracked elbow coming out of the skimmer and a lot of hard work to cut through concrete, dig hole and repair, but better than the frustration of not being able to locate the leak and we got lucky and cut the hole in the right place. Good luck, I hope yours is above ground. Also there is an o-ring in the union connection. Also make sure o-ring in lid is good and lubricated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.