Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another Suction Side Leak Post

1. Back To Top    #1

Another Suction Side Leak Post

Looking for some help. Recently installed new equipment, all new plumbing, and new jandy valves at my equipment pad.

For whatever reason, after I installed the intelliflow VS pump I have a suction side leak that I can't seem to locate.

I get a lot of bubbles in my basket at all speeds and it does not seem to matter whether I have my three way valve set to pull from the pool or spa or both. I have one three way jandy valve and a quick connect union between the pump and where my piping comes out of a cement pad (see pics). I used the shaving cream to check for suction on the jandy valve and the union. Didn't seem to pull any of the shaving cream in. Also checked the pump lid and small plug at the bottom of the pump. Still bubbles and the pump won't hold prime and the filter gets full of air.

I am stumped. Any suggestions to help me trouble shoot this problem?[attachment=1ii3rqle]CAM00031.jpg[/attachmentii3rqle]
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another Suction Side Leak Post

sounds like it may be time to pressure test your below ground pipes
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Any suggestions to help me trouble shoot this problem?
    I would test the pipes underground as an absolute last resort. They seem to be the issue far less than 5% of the time.

Get very methodical. Start at the skimmer and make sure your pool water is high enough so that you are not sucking air from the skimmer. Then move to the suction pipes as they come out of the ground and inspect each joint....especially the unions. Are the drain plugs on the pump snug? Is the O-ring on the top of the pump seated correctly?

These leaks are often quite subtle but, with diligence, can be tracked down.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

A lot of the issue may be traced to your valve and plumbing being above your pump intake.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the input. I will do some more testing over the next couple of days and I will provide feedback.

6. Back To Top    #6

Having dealt with many union leaks installing irrigation systems, they can fool you. If they are in any bind at all, the threads will get tight, but the o-ring will no seat well and slowly leak. May be somewhere to check. Good luck tracking it down.
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

If it will run a little bit but draw bubbles you can let a hose run on the various fittings in the area. The water will stop the air leak while its being applied. I had a bad oring in my valve. Covered it with water and was able to find it in a few seconds.
    ~15k gal oasis shape, IG vinyl, 2 speed superflow 1HP ~6' above pool level, pentair TA60D 60GPM/325# sand, built 2004, intermatic 1353 and stenner chlorine injection pump, dolphin robot, and a filthy light niche

8. Back To Top    #8

I just located my air leak. I was replacing pump, jandy valve and plumbing so I was hoping that would help, but no such luck. The pouring water over each fitting is a good test. Also try tying plastic grocery bags at each fitting to "seal" them. I built my own water/air pressure tester, but couldn't use because I couldn't get a positive seal on the skimmer. I also built a stethoscope pvc pipe listening device which was no help. I had a 6" space of dirt between deck and rock wall so I dug down and got wet dirt within 15" so living in the desert this confirmed my worst fear. My leak was a cracked elbow coming out of the skimmer and a lot of hard work to cut through concrete, dig hole and repair, but better than the frustration of not being able to locate the leak and we got lucky and cut the hole in the right place. Good luck, I hope yours is above ground. Also there is an o-ring in the union connection. Also make sure o-ring in lid is good and lubricated.