Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 16'x48" Tips or Tricks

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 16'x48" Tips or Tricks

Hi Guys,
    Newbie here. I am seriously considering buying an Intex 16'X48" pool and wanted to see if anyone had some tips, tricks, or hints for this pool. I was going to purchase a Gorilla Pool Pad for it as well, but I can't find the right size for it. What type of pad should I use w/ the 16x48? Do you suggest laying down some type of tarp as well? It will be installed in my backyard which is not landscaped. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Intex 16'x48" Tips or Tricks

Welcome to tfp, halfnhalf0622

Getting the site level by removing the high ground is the best way to install.

You can just use a large size gorilla pad. Gorilla pad is best where there is a chance of roots, and rocks pushing up on the pool. Some members have used extruded polystyrene foam under their intexs.

The cartridge filter/pump combo that comes with them is junk. You can get by with them if you keep you pool clean, but they will make for more work.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Intex 16'x48" Tips or Tricks

The intex is a great pool, 16x48 was my first too. Keep in mind the water level is about 42". You might consider the 54" wall height for a 48" water height. You can dig a little deep end, if memory serves me I did 10' diameter x 8" without issue. The intex liner doesnt really stretch much but the walls balloon a little at the bottom, I think thats where the extra fabric for the deep end comes from.
    [center:3mtfbpf9]When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.[/center:3mtfbpf9]
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...