Should i add DE to my sand filter

Adjusting the ph while above the FC is above 10 ppm is problematic (ph reads high when FC is above 10 ppm). Since you are getting CC of 1.5 ppm, then there is shocking to be done regardless of calcium clouding. Have you done a OCLT recently? http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test I would suggest doing one tonight. Once you pass that and your CC is less than 0.5 ppm, then we can let your FC drop and then lower the ph to check on clouding.

Make sure when doing the OCLT, you allow the chlorine to mix with pump on for 1 hour before doing you night test. Remember to turn off any chlorinators during the test. Also, make sure both tests are done when the sun is not on the pool.

lastnight it was 17.5 , and it only took 1 drop to turn pink! WOW what an idiot i am! The last few days i have been counting 1 drop to bring it clear pretty much as 3 and recording as 1.5! WOW someone just come take this pool from me right now...LOL

wsop33 said:
no, just for CC, and why? i have no clue! i re-tested and i came up with .5 for CC... wow i really feel like an idiot!, but idiot or not my waters isn't clear...HAHAHA
That is great news...then you pass two of the three end of shocking criteria.

How is the water looking?

If it is still cloudy, I think I would try DE first and see how that goes. If that doesn't start showing significant improvement within a day or so, you may want to follow JamesW advice and lower the ph to see if it is calcuim clouding and it clears. To do this, I would let your FC drop below 10 ppm before adjusting ph, then adjust ph down to 7.2 to see if the makes a difference.

This evening my pool in the shallow end is a lighter blue and the deep end is still a little darker. Very cloudy and can make out my vaccum while doing the shallow end. I added a little bit od muratic acid and got my TA to drop a lil. Should this be clearing up or should my sand filter (clean sand, no channeling or clumps) be taking this long? It has been 2 weeks and a day at shock level

ph-7.2 (dropped because of the acid)
fc-16
cc-.5
tc-17
TA-220 (muratic acid really helped with this)
Ch-270
cya-30 ( was holding around 40 and i tested 3 times and got 30)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wsop33 said:
This evening my pool in the shallow end is a lighter blue and the deep end is still a little darker. Very cloudy and can make out my vaccum while doing the shallow end. I added a little bit od muratic acid and got my TA to drop a lil. Should this be clearing up or should my sand filter (clean sand, no channeling or clumps) be taking this long? It has been 2 weeks and a day at shock level
Some people are just lucky.

You might also try pointing one of the returns down at the deep end. If the fine debris never gets to the filter, it won't get filtered out. Keep the stuff in circulation so the skimmer can grab it.

I've been 17 days at shock level and can now see a little glimpse of the bottom. I guess it just takes sand filter longer like everyone has said. Everyone on here has been a big help. Hope maybe mine is clear to swim this weekend, weather here is getting warm.

i'm not being impatient just want to make sure everything is on course. Even though the cloudiness is still there i was pretty excited to get the Ch down a little and the TA, makes it alot easier once its clear i can just jump straight in and splash around like a little kid.. LOL

And i couldn't agree more with Slickster, everyone here has been awesome and i cant explain how happy i am i found this site.

I went into my local pool store to get a couple skimmers, and got talking with the lady there and the status of my water got brought up and right away she said "you have phospahtes" and we need to treat them now. I asked her how she knew without a drop of my water and her response was she knew what she was talking about and i should trust her thats her job. After pretty much telling her i test everything and my tests were very accurate, she told me i would fail as a pool owner doing it that way!

Well nevermind the baskets, and pretty sweet pool light, and a few other things i guess i don't need them since i will be failing anyway! Her look was priceless, but what was even more priceless was me coming home and ordering everything online and even saving about $30... I tried to give them 1 more chance were i would still buy odds and ends because its a local store, but nope! I wish there was a hand sign (gang sign) for TFP i would of def threw it up...HAHA

Just an update here, the last couple days i slowly added more muratic acid to bring my TA down some more, and i have noticed a significant change in my water. It has went from blue cloudy to a more bright blue and can make out more of the bottom of my shallow end. Deep end i can still only see about 4-5 ft down but the darker color in the deep end has lightened as well.

I think with my ph lowering as well that has something to do with it, but i am not sure just very excited to start finally seeing a visible change daily.

ph-7.0
fc- 16
cc-0
tc-16
TA-190
CH-260
cya-30

I feel like I'm in the same boat- keeping my pool at shock levels for a couple of weeks and fighting a cloudy pool. This is my 2nd year doing TFP. It doesn't take long for my pool to go from dark green to cloudy gray but getting all of that gray junk out is a real process. I know it's not highly recommend on here but I have the best luck with using some flock, letting all of that small stuff sink to the bottom and then vacuuming it out to waste. I'm finally able to see the bottom and I'm still shocking as I can't seem to pass the overnight test.

TLDR: I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I seem to have trouble getting the small bits of junk out without the use of flock/sweeping to waste. It's a lot of junk too. Once it all settled to the bottom, the floor was covered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.