Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump question

1. Back To Top    #1
    Reading, MA

Pump question

Good day, getting closer to purchasing the house and I think I got a good price on a potential pool pump. Now the questions, if I live in a residential area with no woods and therefore little area to backwash would a cartridge filter be best? And would a Pentair FNS plus cartridge pool filter that was used on an above ground pool with a 2-speed 1.5HP Pentair dynamo motor work on a smaller gunite 17,000 gallon pool. Would $175 be a good price to pay for this used, I guess the cartridge is in good shape.

Thanks so much

1971 Gunite 31x16 IG Kidney shape pool ave depth 5.5, maybe 19000 Gallons
    Sta-rite System3 S7M120 Cartridge Filter
    A.O. Smith 3/4 HP motor, starite pump
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Pump question

Cartridge or a DE filter that you take apart to clean (as opposed to backflushing) may work best.

For your 17000 gallon pool we would recommend as minimums 250 sq.ft. cartridge or a 46 sq. ft. DE filter.

Post a model on the filter, you would want the FNSP48 or FNSP60 to meet the minimum posted above.

For the pump, I am not sure about the dynamo line, specifically if it can handle the static head of pulling the water up from the pool to the pump, assuming the pump will be above the waterline. However if it is able to prime a igp, then the size should be fine assuming you do not have any high volume water features.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.