1. Back To Top    #1

Borax and SWG

Hi guys,

Do I use borax if I have a SWG pool?
    Steve-Liteguy

13K Pebble-tech Pool, ECO pump, IntelliChlor SWG, DE

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borax and SWG

Sure. The pH buffering effects are particularly useful. I just borated a couple weeks ago and so far so good.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by UN1017
    Sure. The pH buffering effects are particularly useful. I just borated a couple weeks ago and so far so good.
    Ah Haa. Perhaps this will help with the acid usage. I've been dumping in a gallon per week just to keep it in check. How much borax did you use in your 15K pool?
    Steve-Liteguy

4. Back To Top    #4

If your going to add borates it's easier if you use boric acid. The first year I did the Borax and acid route, the following year I did boric acid. Much easier. I've got a 17 K pool.

Here's my story: boric-acid-the-easy-way-t38793.html?hilit=boric%20acid

Poolcaculator.com will give you the answer.

and according to the pool calculator: 55 lbs or 11.6 (76 oz) boxes of Borax would be needed to go from 0 to 50
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Liteguy
    Ah Haa. Perhaps this will help with the acid usage. I've been dumping in a gallon per week just to keep it in check. How much borax did you use in your 15K pool?
    Borates are by no means required for a swg pool, but they can help. More importantly, what is your TA at?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Great and thanks, Sorry for the dumb-a** question, should have gone directly to the pool calc
    Steve-Liteguy

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Borates are by no means required for a swg pool, but they can help. More importantly, what is your TA at?
    Untested as of today, just getting setup for the season, accidentally fell in and the pool was ball numbing cold for our climate here in AZ-My wife was laughing hysterically, dog too.
    Steve-Liteguy

8. Back To Top    #8

Post you TA when you can take a break from the swimming For a swg TA really needs to be down in the 60-80 ppm range.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Post you TA when you can take a break from the swimming For a swg TA really needs to be down in the 60-80 ppm range.
    thx sir, will do
    Steve-Liteguy

10. Back To Top    #10

TA today is 110
    Steve-Liteguy