POOL WALL HAS COME OUT OF BOTTOM RAIL, HELP!

May 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I am a new user to this forum, I have a 15 x 30 AG oval pool with resin top rail, 4 years old. Opening this year in 5th year, we noticed at the skimmer end and at the opposite end also, the pool wall (steel) at the pool end has become detached from the bottom rail and either 1. the bottem rail has moved outward or 2. the pool wall has moved inward.

This occurs at the pool sides make the bend around and mostly towards the back of the pool, about 1 1/2" to 2" off TOWARDS the INSIDE of the pool. Much like what would occur if pressure was put against the outside of an oval shape causing the ends to come inward to the center.

Could the pool have settled and this is the actual shape as it wants to hold pulling it out of the bottom rail shape? Or has the rail some how moved outward loosing it's proper radius?

The pool was professionally installed, I watched as it was completed and kept the workers hydrated and happy so they would work better and not speed through install. I think they did a good job, but this issue is a difficult one to find info on.

How to get the pool wall back into the bottom rail???

I have pictures of the bad area and also the adjacent one. They are taken with a smart phone and files too big to upload!
HELP!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Dave

Hi Dave. Welcome to TFP! I'm hoping we can get you some help. :cool:

Is your pool still level? Has it settled on one side or another to the point it looks off? Where are you located? Do you experience frost heave? Do you have a deck butted up against the pool? You said professional install, did they guarentee it? If so, How long was the guarentee for? Did they use pavers under the uprights? (<-- Just saw an install without pavers *nice pool build and pool too*)

Sorry for all these questions. I think it's important that we try and get as much info as possible. If you can think of anything to add, please do because it will help us, help you. :goodjob:

On a side note, I read in my installation manual on my Sharkline Venture that if my site isn't completely level, my wall could jump the track and I'm suspecting that maybe you have settled (for some reason) and this is what happened.

P.S. Upper left corner of the site under the TFP logo is the user control panel. Please add your location to your profile and you should also add your pool and equipment to your siggy so we all can give you the right answers based on your location. Texas is way different than PA if ya know what I mean! :mrgreen:

Hi and thank you for the welcome & information. I apologize for not giving enough information on my pool setting and type.
Here is the pool info: 15x30 Oval AG, 52" Morada IV, resin top rail and foot plates, Hayward 2Hp w/cartridge filter.

Level: The pool looks level, pool winter cover still on, was with-in 1/2" last year before close-up measuring around the pool using the top rail to the water surface in inches.

Deck: Yes deck is on one side, set on piers buried 4' deep per code, there is room between deck edge and pool edge to allow for expansion if any.

Location: Chicago, this winter was not as cold as previous years, late freeze in Janurary if any.

Deck footing at install time: Yes pavers were used, and only a 1 year install warranty, 5th year on the pool now.

We do have a lot of water that flows through the yard from heavy rains, I built a french drain to divert this water flow which doesn't happen too often and appears to work.

I have sent pictures to the installer who said he has done 6000 plus installs. I do want to get other opinions as to the cause just in case it was a result of faulty installation or he offers no help to remedy this.
Not sure how to determine that though, I just want to find the cause (s), fix it and avoid any big problems. Honestly I think they did a nice job during install, they were recommended by The Great Escape where we bought the pool. But I am not a pool installer, so what do I know!

Thanks again for all help. Summer is approaching "Oh No" need to fix.
Dave in Chicago

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.