Apr 1, 2007
MD
We just opened our pool 2 days ago and using the TFT test kit our numbers were
FC .5
CC .5
TC 1
PH 7.5
TA 140
CYA with the tube filled all the way up I could still see the dot so it is less then 20 I would assume.

We have added about 12 gallons of bleach so far and also have some 3" tablets in our chlorinator. We have tested again with the only thing changing was our TA is at 130 now. The pool was green but has cleared up a little still cant see the bottom.
I was going to add some CYA to the pool but it says that would should not if there some added last year. That does not make since to me but I thought I would ask here and see what the pros say.
The pool is a vinyl liner inground and I am guessing about 20,000 gal. I am including a link to a diagram of my pool if someone can help me figure out for sure how many gallons it is. Thanks for your help.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ ... 0931AM.jpg

It does appear that you need to add CYA to your pool. I would think adding 3 lbs would be safe for now, test again in a week or so (no backwashing) and go from there. I did not see a depth on the diagram you provided. That is essential for determining volume, but I would estimate that you are somewhere between 20 - 25K gallons.

Thanks for the quick reply. Should I backwash the filter before I add the CYA because the pressure is starting to build. Then add the CYA.

Sorry I did forget to give the depths. The shallow end is 3' and the deep end is 8' The slope starts about 4' from the large walk in steps.

Yes, go ahead and backwash. Your pool volume is probably close to (EDIT) 20K gal., so I would add 6 lbs of CYA. That should get you from 0 to 30 ppm. That also gives you a buffer in case my vol. estimate is off a little or you already have up to 20 ppm already in there (you can safely go up to 50 ppm).

If your pool is still cloudy, run the pump 24/7 until it clears. The cloudiness is probably the dead algae. You may want to clear that up a little before you add CYA because your filter may get dirty fairly quick and you may need to backwash.

Make sure you keep your FC level up to 1 - 3 ppm while the pool is clearing and then 2 - 4 when your CYA gets up to 30 - 50.

Carno,

You need chlorine in your pool. Tell us again how your water looks, but if I understand your previous posts, you do not have clear pool water. Therefore, you will be backwashing as you continue the clearing process and will backwash out any CYA you put in the skimmer. Putting in the CYA hanging from a sock is fine but your big problem is lack of chlorine.

Post another set of test results (you can skip the CYA...we know it's zero) and tell us the current appearance of your water.

Here is my new test results:
FC .5
CC 0
TC .5
PH between 6.8 and 7.2
TA 130
CH 170 We know this isnt really required with our vinyl liner but just wanted to make sure we covered everything

Pool when opened was really green. Now three days later and 11 gallons of bleach it is real cloudy. We can barely see the shallow end bottom. We also just backwashed it and put my new Blue Diamond auto pool cleaner in to help things along.

Thanks for the quick replies. I apreciate it.

You will need LOTS more chlorine to clear the pool. Using Jason's calc, bring the FC up to around 12-15ppm and (here's the secret) YOU MUST KEEP IT UP AT THAT LEVEL UNTIL YOUR POOL IS CLEAR. (caps for emphasis...sorry)

Since your CYA is zero, don't put your first dose of chlorine in until the sun is off the pool this evening. (sun kills chlorine). Dose it up to 12-15ppm and then test and bring it back up to 12-15 again based on your test results. Do that again tomorrow AM.

I'm not a big fan of a midday dosage because the sun consumes so much of the Cl but plan on testing and re-dosing at least 3-4 times in a 24 hour period.

backwash/clean your filter as necessary.

Then, DON"T STOP! That's the mistake 90% of all people make. Chlorine is a consumable and it is consumed by algae in your pool and sunlight....nothing else. Your chlorine WILL be consumed and you MUST add more.

Meanwhile, get enough CYA to bring your pool up to 40ppm. YOu can put it in immediately, if you'll put it in an old sock and drop the sock in the skimmer or suspend the sock in front of a return flow. Or, simply don't put it in at all until your pool is clear....you'll just use a little more chlorine.

Stay on the forum and ask lot's of question. we'll all help.

OK we we finally got the chlorine up for now. We also put solar blanket on to try and help the chlorine last a little longer and to try and warm it up as well. I also put 4 lbs of CYA in a sock and put in the skimmer. We also backwashed twice today and pool looks to be getting clearer but a ways to go yet.
We just did another test and here are the results
FC 9 and added another gallon and a half of bleach per the pool caculator.
CC .5
TC 9.5
PH 7.5
TA 150
temp 70 degrees

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those are good numbers you posted up....you're getting the hang of it. Add more chlorine tonigh if it's not too late and then early, early AM if you can. The more frequently you bring the FC up, the sooner the pool will clear. It sounds like you've got the pump running 24/7 and backwashing as needed....nice work. :lol:

You're on your way to a clear pool. Now you just need a little POP....it will not be overnite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.