Suggestions on my pool water

Mar 10, 2012
Eagle, ID
TF100 results:
FC 21ppm (was attempting to shock as water had very slight green tint upon opening 7 days ago)
CC 1ppm
TC 22ppm
pH 8.2 (or off the chart)
TA 18
CH 880
CYA well above 100

Pool water is currently crystal clear. My refill water tests @ CH 100. I am thinking of draining and refilling to get a better handle on CH and CYA levels. If drain/re-fill recommended, do I need to wait for the chlorine level to go down before draining to my lawn?
Thank you for your input,
Philip

I wouldn't wait to drain. You are well under shock level for your CYA and it would be difficult to get there as it stands now. It's hard to tell what your PH really is because of the high CL causes problems with the test.

For help with draining methods it would help to know the details of your pool. Inground? Plaster? Size? Part of the country? Etc...

Welcome to tfp, Eaglepool :wave:

I agree with bluechip, I would do a drain/refill. Let us know what kind of pool you have. This is a very important question when needing to drain a lot of water (as you need to).

Are you certain of your TA reading...are you certain you did not mean 180 ppm (18drops X10 ppm= 180 ppm TA)? It would be unlikely that you have that low TA and that high ph.

[s:zz8k2q5l]Assuming that you TA is actually 180, you need to address ph soon, since 8.2 i high and levels higher than that also read as 8.2. If you are going to do a partial drain/refill in the next day I would wait on adjusting ph, but it will be longer I would adjust ph down to the 7.5-7.8 range now.[/s:zz8k2q5l]EDIT: oops...FC>10ppm, so ph should not be adjusted until FC is below 10 ppm...see following posts

linen said:
Assuming that you TA is actually 180, you need to address ph soon, since 8.2 i high and levels higher than that also read as 8.2. If you are going to do a partial drain/refill in the next day I would wait on adjusting ph, but it will be longer I would adjust ph down to the 7.5-7.8 range now.

Wouldn't that high of FC cause the pH test to be inaccurately reported as high? Meaning, he probably has pH lower than 8.2?

burine said:
linen said:
Assuming that you TA is actually 180, you need to address ph soon, since 8.2 i high and levels higher than that also read as 8.2. If you are going to do a partial drain/refill in the next day I would wait on adjusting ph, but it will be longer I would adjust ph down to the 7.5-7.8 range now.

Wouldn't that high of FC cause the pH test to be inaccurately reported as high? Meaning, he probably has pH lower than 8.2?

Correct, the pH will read falsly high when the FC > 10ppm

burine said:
linen said:

Thank you burine, you are correct :cheers: ....disregard my ph advice until FC is below 10 ppm :oops:

Thanks for the input. My bad on the TA...should have been 180, not 18, as guessed. It is a plaster pool, ~18,000 gal. I have no groundwater issues to deal with. I am in Eagle, ID (I'll try to update my profile...thought it was in there already).

Do you think the current chlorine level will damage my lawn if I drain it?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.