Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggestions on my pool water

1. Back To Top    #1

Suggestions on my pool water

TF100 results:
    FC 21ppm (was attempting to shock as water had very slight green tint upon opening 7 days ago)
    CC 1ppm
    TC 22ppm
    pH 8.2 (or off the chart)
    TA 18
    CH 880
    CYA well above 100

Pool water is currently crystal clear. My refill water tests @ CH 100. I am thinking of draining and refilling to get a better handle on CH and CYA levels. If drain/re-fill recommended, do I need to wait for the chlorine level to go down before draining to my lawn?
    Thank you for your input,
    Philip

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suggestions on my pool water

I wouldn't wait to drain. You are well under shock level for your CYA and it would be difficult to get there as it stands now. It's hard to tell what your PH really is because of the high CL causes problems with the test.

For help with draining methods it would help to know the details of your pool. Inground? Plaster? Size? Part of the country? Etc...
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, Eaglepool

I agree with bluechip, I would do a drain/refill. Let us know what kind of pool you have. This is a very important question when needing to drain a lot of water (as you need to).

Are you certain of your TA reading...are you certain you did not mean 180 ppm (18drops X10 ppm= 180 ppm TA)? It would be unlikely that you have that low TA and that high ph.

[s:zz8k2q5l]Assuming that you TA is actually 180, you need to address ph soon, since 8.2 i high and levels higher than that also read as 8.2. If you are going to do a partial drain/refill in the next day I would wait on adjusting ph, but it will be longer I would adjust ph down to the 7.5-7.8 range now.[/s:zz8k2q5l]EDIT: oops...FC>10ppm, so ph should not be adjusted until FC is below 10 ppm...see following posts
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Assuming that you TA is actually 180, you need to address ph soon, since 8.2 i high and levels higher than that also read as 8.2. If you are going to do a partial drain/refill in the next day I would wait on adjusting ph, but it will be longer I would adjust ph down to the 7.5-7.8 range now.
    Wouldn't that high of FC cause the pH test to be inaccurately reported as high? Meaning, he probably has pH lower than 8.2?
    ~20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool, 3/4 HP pump, ~3 sqft sand filter (newly replaced May 2013), TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by burine
    Assuming that you TA is actually 180, you need to address ph soon, since 8.2 i high and levels higher than that also read as 8.2. If you are going to do a partial drain/refill in the next day I would wait on adjusting ph, but it will be longer I would adjust ph down to the 7.5-7.8 range now.
    Wouldn't that high of FC cause the pH test to be inaccurately reported as high? Meaning, he probably has pH lower than 8.2?
    Correct, the pH will read falsly high when the FC > 10ppm
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by burine
    Thank you burine, you are correct ....disregard my ph advice until FC is below 10 ppm
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the input. My bad on the TA...should have been 180, not 18, as guessed. It is a plaster pool, ~18,000 gal. I have no groundwater issues to deal with. I am in Eagle, ID (I'll try to update my profile...thought it was in there already).

Do you think the current chlorine level will damage my lawn if I drain it?

Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Do you think the current chlorine level will damage my lawn if I drain it?
    No. It'll be fine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you!