Any ideas on how to improve the spill over from the spa?

May 5, 2013
My spa spill over curls back under the spill way and against the wall above the pool instead of cleanly spilling into the pool.

The spill way is travertine with a rounded bull nose and I was trying to figure out an easy fix to make the spill work better.

Thanks.

georgelearn:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Let's begin with a few easy checks: When was the last time your filter was cleaned or backwashed? If you don't know or cannot remember, then I would clean/backwash the filter. After doing that, see if there is any difference in the water flow. Another item to check is the pump screen/filter located in the "wet" side of the filter. That screen needs to be cleaned out periodically. It should lift out of the pump so you can wash it out. Also check/clean the skimmer screens.

If none of the above helps, you may need to provide us with a bit more information. Did this problem recently start or has it been going on for some time? Was the spa built the same time as the pool or was it recently added? Was the pump recently replaced or serviced?

Not sure if this is advised for swimming pools, so I'd like an expert to review the idea.... at some of the national parks where they have caves they add a line of silicone caulk to the edge of the cave to force rainwater to drip off instead of curling around the edge and into the cave. Might work here?

Thanks.
It's about 5-6 years old and has never cascaded well.

Some of the water returns to the spa from the filter and some returns to the spa.

If I have it all return to the spa the the cascade is strong and good, but I think the circulation might suffer.

I like the idea of a silicone line or bead in order to break static,

Take care.

I saw this thread the other day, which piqued my curiosity since I had the same problem with my spillover. I have a great cascade when the booster pump is running, but with just the main pump, I get a small cascade on half of the spillover, and the rest dribbles down the wall.

Well, I'm not going to go out and make any sort of recommendation to you, however today was the day I added borates to my pool. I added 25 lbs of boric acid. Within minutes of pouring it in, I noticed something surprising from my spillway. A full freaking cascade! What???

B6W2KpR.jpg

Seeing is believing:

WDhz7VR.jpg

Besides actually having a full cascade on the spillover, I've also noticed that it's quite a bit less turbulent, and thus less noisy. I don't know, maybe I'm just imagining things? Maybe it's the after-work beer? Or maybe just the SoCal sunset:

xPAvzr4.jpg

Anyways. As for possible explanations? I've read others noticing a high lubricity of the water. It's possible that this is resulting in a slightly higher surface tension in the water, causing it to stay more uniform as it flows over the lip of the spillway. But what do I know? I'm a software engineer, not a physicist!

Just a small update...

I saw that my spillway was performing great after I added the borates, however on the next pump cycle the water was dribbling down the wall again.

I experimented a little by holding a chopstick up against the spillway, which resulted in a perfect cascade once again. So a trip to the hardware store, $3, and a tube of silicone caulk later, I had a nice bead of silicone across the lip of the spillway. 4 pump cycles later, the spillway performs beautifully every time!

I was struggling with this same issue. I had a few scraps of Travertine laying around so I decide to make my own drip edge. I cut a long sliver the same length as my overflow lip and construction glued the small piece under my lip(like a window drip edge). Works perfect.

Some of the water returns to the spa from the filter and some returns to the spa.

If I have it all return to the spa the the cascade is strong and good, but I think the circulation might suffer.

I have a motorized Jandy valve that shuts the return to the pool when the spa is on. When the valve is open to both pool and spa the valve is not in the middle sending flow 50/50. It is biased a bit more open to the spa to provide additional flow. The valve can be set for what it's normal open position should be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.